The difference between 03,04,05,06 forks?

17 replies to this topic
  • razmy72

Posted June 25, 2006 - 09:34 PM

The difference between 03,04,05,06 forks? Can someone pls enlighten me on the differences? The size, clamps, fork guards? Coz I'm setting up my front end again and would like to know which can be fix with which..
Thanks! :excuseme:

• mikedabike

Posted June 25, 2006 - 10:47 PM

03 - 46MM brake routing wraps under and up to caliper.
04 - 48MM same same routing and gaurds as 03.
05 - 48MM twin chamber type Honda style brake routing guards different than earlier models.
06 - Same as the 05 I believe.

They are all pretty much interchangeable if you swap triples and guards.

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:44 AM

03 - 46MM brake routing wraps under and up to caliper.
04 - 48MM same same routing and gaurds as 03.
05 - 48MM twin chamber type Honda style brake routing guards different than earlier models.
06 - Same as the 05 I believe.

They are all pretty much interchangeable if you swap triples and guards.

03- 46mm single camber fork
04 - 48mm single chamber fork
05 - 48mm TC fork, position sensitive valving
06 - 48mm TC fork, Speed sensitive valving. also the clamps are 2mm wider than 06 for more stability. thus spacers and axles correspond for that

the 05 and 06 forks are totally different internally. The SSS fork on the 06 absorbs the little stuff way better than the 05.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:06 AM

03- 46mm single camber fork
04 - 48mm single chamber fork
05 - 48mm TC fork, position sensitive valving
06 - 48mm TC fork, Speed sensitive valving. also the clamps are 2mm wider than 06 for more stability. thus spacers and axles correspond for that

the 05 and 06 forks are totally different internally. The SSS fork on the 06 absorbs the little stuff way better than the 05.

That's right. They're 4 different forks, each a significant improvement over the previous version. The '06 is unbelievably good.

The '04/'05 can be used in the same triple clamps, and either can be installed on an '03 by swapping a clamp set from an '04/'05. But although the '06 sets 2mm wider, it nevertheless uses the same wheel, axle and spacers by moving the axle lugs inboard 1mm on each side. They're not interchangeable without their triple clamps. I'm also not sure as to the stem dimensions on the '06.

• Wheel

Posted June 26, 2006 - 10:13 AM

You can use 04-05 forks on 06 clamps with no modifications. Only the left (brake side) fork aligns the front wheel, and having the wheel offset only 1 mm causes no problems with the front brake. If you don't feel comfortable with this, you could install a 1mm thick washer between the fork and spacer on the brake side.

• barch88

Posted June 26, 2006 - 11:03 AM

What kind of triple clamps would you buy for a 06 then, if you bought aftermarket? Would any work?

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:05 PM

What kind of triple clamps would you buy for a 06 then, if you bought aftermarket? Would any work?

applied makes special clamps with a bit different rake and 27mm offset to help turning

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:16 PM

You can use 04-05 forks on 06 clamps with no modifications. Only the left (brake side) fork aligns the front wheel, and having the wheel offset only 1 mm causes no problems with the front brake. If you don't feel comfortable with this, you could install a 1mm thick washer between the fork and spacer on the brake side.

True enough, but you'd be better off re-centering the wheel with the spokes. And I have to ask, why on Earth would you want to take such a giant step backwards? If you feel that the earlier fork is better, can I have your '06's?

applied makes special clamps with a bit different rake and 27mm offset to help turning

They do, but they don't change the rake, only the trail (by adding offset), and while these appear to work well with the '06 YZ250F, opinions of them are not as universally positive when installed on an '06 YZ450. Some like the stock offset better. Personally, as good as the bike works already, you'd have to pay me to try them.

• kid on a 426

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Would it be possible to put 450 forks on my bike with using the same year triple clamps as the forks?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:17 PM

The '03 fork will go right in your clamps, but they aren't much different than yours. If a set of later clamps can be used on your frame (perhaps by swapping the steering stem) later forks would be more worthwhile.

• Wheel

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:27 PM

We ran 05 suspension on an 06 450F for the later rounds of the AMA Toyota Arenacross series. In our case, we already had the older suspension setup for this purpose, so we just swapped and ran it. In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to the older suspension for this purpose, and in fact, the champion of the series, Chad Johnson, was running 05 suspension on his YZ250. His mechanic, Junior Jackson, felt the 05 suspension was better suited for this specialized purpose. Personally, I believe the main reason was that the new bikes were not released in time to setup and test the new suspension.

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :excuseme:

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 26, 2006 - 09:45 PM

We ran 05 suspension on an 06 450F for the later rounds of the AMA Toyota Arenacross series. In our case, we already had the older suspension setup for this purpose, so we just swapped and ran it. In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to the older suspension for this purpose, and in fact, the champion of the series, Chad Johnson, was running 05 suspension on his YZ250. His mechanic, Junior Jackson, felt the 05 suspension was better suited for this specialized purpose. Personally, I believe the main reason was that the new bikes were not released in time to setup and test the new suspension.

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :excuseme:

Okay, there is one difference in the 05 bikes. only the YZ250 got a bit different forks than the 125 and the 250F 450F. DO a search for it. It is a passive bleed system in the fork.

Now just hitting large jumps, just about anything valved for it will work. But like outdoors where you get braking bumps, acceleration bumps and constant track changes all day long, the 06 stuff is way superior. Indoors on groomed stuff, yeah the 05 is great.

• Wheel

Posted June 27, 2006 - 06:07 AM

I agree.

• GreenKLX

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:36 PM

The '03 fork will go right in your clamps, but they aren't much different than yours. If a set of later clamps can be used on your frame (perhaps by swapping the steering stem) later forks would be more worthwhile

Does anyone know for sure if the '04-'05 clamps and stem will bolt up to the 426? How about shocks? Any big changes since 2001? Anyone know if they are interchangeable?

• barch88

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:50 PM

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :ride:

I thought the 06 had special triple clamps that only the 06 forks would fit in...if so, how did the 05 ones fit?

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:04 PM

The '06 clamps are 2mm wider center to center. This is made up for by moving the axle lug on each fork leg inboard 1mm, and the '06 then uses the same wheel/axle/spacing as the earlier years.

Using '04 or '05 forks in '06 clamps results in the wheel being 1mm off center to the left. This can be made up for either by using a 1mm (.040") washer between the left fork lug and the wheel, or by re-centering the rim with the spokes.

• barch88

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:27 PM

The '06 clamps are 2mm wider center to center. This is made up for by moving the axle lug on each fork leg inboard 1mm, and the '06 then uses the same wheel/axle/spacing as the earlier years.

Using '04 or '05 forks in '06 clamps results in the wheel being 1mm off center to the left. This can be made up for either by using a 1mm (.040") washer between the left fork lug and the wheel, or by re-centering the rim with the spokes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :ride: What if I had to replace the stock triple clamps, or wanted aftermarket one's, just going out on a limb here, I don't need to, nor do I want to...but IF I wanted or needed to, what would I do, do companies sell them special for the 06 YZF?

• GreenKLX

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:04 PM

Does anyone know for sure if the '04-'05 clamps and stem will bolt up to the 426?

Worked like a charm, everything bolted up real nice, and I was able to re-use the 426 front brake setup, axle, and brake line guard. :thumbsup:

Now I am just waiting on graphics and then I will post pics of my "poor man's" 450.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.