The new 2007 WR...I don't like it!

142 replies to this topic
  • TwoBobRob

Posted July 01, 2006 - 04:11 AM

I'm enjoying this thread :ride:

For the record, over here in England all i ever heard about the change in tank size was that it simply helped with the top heavy feeling the earlier WRs had.

I have the 03. I've never seen 100 miles from my tank. Close, but not quite there. The smaller tanks on the later bikes is a concern to me also simply because we have to plan rides around availablility of fuel and its not uncommon to ride 40-50 miles to a petrol station only to find its closed for the day; which then means it can be a nerve racking ride onto the next one :ride:

I like the EFI thing. The way forward for sure :ride:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted July 01, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hey, I didn't want this to turn into a flame fest on Arin. I don't have anything against him. He is entitled to his opinion. I'm also entitled to mine and disagree.

The thing on the gas tank is pretty petty actually. I am one of those bling blingers that actually track rides the WR. So to me, the smaller tanks ergos are a plus. Now I know a few of you are long distance riders that NEED a bigger tank. You have a couple of options, $275 for a bigger tank or pack more gas.

The aluminum frame. I'm into it. I like the way the Hondas ride and I know I'm not alone. Honda and Yamaha have dumped tons of money into these frames to ensure they are not too harsh. (remember the first AL framed CRF, that thing sucked!) I think after a ride on the new WR, you might change your tune.

I wish Yamaha could have stepped up to the plate and been the (major manufacturer) pioneer for EFI in the dirtbikes. (even though Gas Gas has had if for several years.) Yamaha has kind of taken a "wait and see" kind of technology approach, but their end product usually doesn't disappoint. Hopefully we'll see fuel injected bikes next year.

I guess my point is that you'll never please everyone. But that's the way change works. What works for one may not for another. I can confidently say that the Yamaha's have consistently IMPROVED every year and they're only getting better.

Now I'm going to go get hammered and blow stuff up. Yeah for the 4th of July!

• Guest_Matt230_*

Posted July 01, 2006 - 08:10 PM

The only thing I like about the new WR is the headlamp. :ride:
YZ rear fender stock? You can't easily hang a plate off it and expect it to last. :ride:

I think my next bike will be a KTM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey I love the new WRs and Im not going to dislike it cause I can't put a plate on it. Whats wrong with the fender thats good cause now if you need to replace it it will be easier! By the way KTMs are great bikes but the price isn't so great!

• Triumphs

Posted July 04, 2006 - 07:26 AM

If you don't want an aluminum frame then go buy a Husky or a KTM.

Until KTM brings one out themselves that is...at which time it will be the most innovative and necessary update in the history of off-road motorcycling! :ride:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 04, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Hey I'm an old guy and I want the aluminum frame! Contrary to legend aluminum framed bikes are not appreciably lighter than their steel counterparts but more importantly the use of aluminum allows for a design which carries the weight much lower on the bike. We'll have to wait until later in the year to see if Yamaha got it right on the first go or if it will take some refinement. One thing is for sure you will never see another steel framed YZ or WR.

As another old guy, or Senior as the AMA refers to me, I would be looking for a lighter feeling. While moving at 25mph or so, the existing wr feels fine, even while turning.

But, at low speeds, you feel the full weight of the bike, especially when moving along at crawling speeds. I spend lots of time and energy trying to muscle it around.

I doubt that EFI or an aluminum frame with help me that much. My riding speed needs to improve from "slow" to "not as slow" ! I think I will wait for a revolutionary change where there will be no doubt that I have to trade in my 05.

• ARin

Posted July 04, 2006 - 11:44 AM

I think I will wait for a revolutionary change where there will be no doubt that I have to trade in my 05.

My thoughts exactly...

2009 model, triumphant return to steel!!!! bahaha :ride: :ride:

• huntmaster

Posted July 04, 2006 - 11:55 AM

I doubt that EFI or an aluminum frame with help me that much. My riding speed needs to improve from "slow" to "not as slow" !

Just hope the EFI doesn't pack up in the middle of no where! "Slow" could quickly become "stopped"...at a very inopportune time!

• Triumphs

Posted July 04, 2006 - 12:08 PM

You're a perfect candidate for a DRZ.... (not that there's anything wrong with it).

Yes, or even a TTR. We don't need this fancy schmancy new liquid cooling. And no disc brakes...should be drums like god intended....and two proper rear shocks with no more then 4" of travel!
No dad gum fancy moto squid based stuff for me I say! :ride:

• b-rad01

Posted July 05, 2006 - 05:58 PM

did you ever try out a husaberg. i have a 05 wr and recently bought a05 husaberg 550 and not takin nothin from my wr but the power on the berg is wicked

• JCORMI

Posted July 07, 2006 - 09:36 AM

Until KTM brings one out themselves that is...at which time it will be the most innovative and necessary update in the history of off-road motorcycling! :ride:

Ha ha How true. Im so sick of hearing about KTM and how unbelievable they are. My buddy and I bought new bikes within a month of each other, he got a 450exc and I got the WR450. This is no bull cucka, he has 12 hours on his bike so far and has had to bring the bike back to the dealer twice, once for a leaking head gasket and a fork adjuster knob that was broken from the factory. He got it back and he adjusted the valves at like 5 hours, we went out for about 6 hours one day and by the end of the day his valves were noticably tapping again. About two weeks ago he was riding down a camp road and oil started spewing out of one of the side case covers. Back to the dealer he went. Just got it back last week now it is time for him to do that second valve adjust. Thank god I bought my Yamaha, first one I have owned and I absolutely love it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vantolr

Posted July 07, 2006 - 10:08 AM

Just got it back last week now it is time for him to do that second valve adjust. Thank god I bought my Yamaha, first one I have owned and I absolutely love it.

Lets just hope Yamaha continues to manufacture long-lasting, high quality valves that don't require much maintenance. The moment I have any valve problems with a 4 stroke, I'm going back to the smokers.............You would think they'd get these valve issues taken care of by now.............

• elton

Posted July 12, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Not for me. I will wait another year and see what my options are! :ride: :ride: :ride:

Here is what I want my next bike to have:

EFI
6 speed
3 gallons
Chrome Moly Frame
HID light / LED tail
500 CC engine
Off road flywheel and cams

Hopefully 2008 will be the year! :banana:

That would be sweet, but I doubt that they would give it all in one year model. I'll settle for a 6-speed and EFI in 08 -- would like to see the same offered on KTM 2-Strokes.

Elton

• jimi

Posted July 13, 2006 - 03:40 PM

Just hope the EFI doesn't pack up in the middle of no where! "Slow" could quickly become "stopped"...at a very inopportune time!

No kidding. I want bulletproof. Having to hike back to the car 15-miles across open desert/dunes/washes doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Not huge on EFI for a dirtbike. I see it's place, don't get me wrong. I hate taking apart carbs and messing with jetting all the time, but sometime simple is best.

We all know why they're going to go EFI. It has nothing to do with us the consumers wanting it. It has to do with strict EPA stuff. They can program the bike to meet emisions and run like shit. The fact that it'll be easier for us to uncork it is just a bonus.

• ktmone

Posted July 13, 2006 - 04:00 PM

[COLOR=DarkOrange]undefinedMY next bike will be a KTM too a 250xcf maybe 9 weeks left now.[/COLOR] :ride: Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!

• Sedanka

Posted July 13, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hey - first time I wont have to install pro-tapers on my bike as they are there! I see the 2007 as a nicey face-liftey version of 2006 with all those headlights and disk rotors. And we like our precioussss, dont we? :ride:
Still hope to get it with EFI, installed alu skid plate, rad guards and handguards (as this is the first think we buy to all our forest going bikes) and of course more tweakable to quickly adapt it to various riding conditions\purposes.

hey, KTM lovers - I personally twice towed pumpkins for 20 kms out of the deserts... hehe - think again....
Fun rides to all!

• WR_Dave

Posted July 13, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Unless you go great distances to ride (INDY) I don't know what all the bitching is about jetting, once you get it right , you don't have to mess with it much. Japanese bike mfg's make road bikes so why would they spend a bunch of time making a dirt bike road legal, if you ride alot of road get a KTM Duke or a KLR 650( whatever)! If you don't like the WR get something else, skid plate looks like s&*t but will get replaced by aluminum one anyway as well as rad guards and bark busters. Bigger clear tank for long off road rides or cross country races will be installed as well. This has been the pattern for the last 30 years anyway so what's the problem now? EFI is coming but I hope the bugs are out of it or at least has a programming flexibility, buddy's Gas Gas EFI runs too lean in the mountains and heats up when the weather warms over 80 f. I guess I'm the fussy one, because I have never been completely happy with what I bring home from the dealer and have done many mods to get the bike to suit me anyway. As for looks , when you ride fast enough to pay more attention to the trail than the shine of your front fender, you will truely appreciate that Yamaha has made yet another fine product. It's not the bike that makes you a better rider it's the skills you acquire, Ricky Carmichael and David Knight would kick but on anything they throw a leg over. So in closing I say, shut-up and ride. :ride: WR Dave

• 07wr250F

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:20 PM

Well, I am new to the board as you all can see this is my first post. I purchased an 07 WR250F a few weeks ago and have about 50 miles or so on it at this point.

First Impression: I love it!!

The bike seems nimble and moves where you want it too, easily. I felt very little deflection from obstacles that I thought would have (in the past) provided more of a problem. Traction was never a problem. I rode a good bit over on the peninsula (Bel Fair, WA).

Trails range from hard pack, to loose gravel and glacial till (approximately baseball sized rocks) to deep water holes. The bike went through what ever you pointed it at. Power seems even all the way through the RPM range. I haven't done any of the freebie mods others have done in the past. I wanted to get a couple of rides on the bike before I start changing anything. Now that I am through the break-in cycle, I will attempt some of the former mods to see what other power lurks below the surface.

I figure to do the following:
grey wire mod
baffle removal
airbox alteration
Boyesen Accelerator Pump cover
YZ throttle stop screw (determine if this still applies)
possibly the AIS removal kit from TT

Out of the box, the bike is a fantastic ride. I let other buddies with a lot more riding time than me have a crack at it and they loved it. If they were in a place to buy a new bike, they would go buy one.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

• WildRide

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:27 PM

The Tiny Mx Gas Tank Has Got To Go!!!

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 28, 2006 - 10:28 AM

The Tiny Mx Gas Tank Has Got To Go!!!

Same capacity as 05/06.........

• Beejay

Posted December 28, 2006 - 02:30 PM

The only thing I like about the new WR is the headlamp. :lol:
YZ rear fender stock? You can't easily hang a plate off it and expect it to last. :confused:

I think my next bike will be a KTM.

Have I got this right, you don't like the WR because you can't hang a plate off the rear fender, and for that reason you want a KTM.:confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.