Do flywheel weights affect handling?

6 replies to this topic
  • John407

Posted June 25, 2006 - 05:36 PM

The reason I ask is that today I took mine off of my '03 YZ450. I put it on to tame the hit (and it did), but today with an exhaust insert in (and 10 oz wieght off) the bike was lots of fun to ride. It may have even turned better.
Am I just dreaming?

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2006 - 06:00 PM

The reason I ask is that today I took mine off of my '03 YZ450. I put it on to tame the hit (and it did), but today with an exhaust insert in (and 10 oz wieght off) the bike was lots of fun to ride. It may have even turned better.
Am I just dreaming?

You're just having a good day.

• John407

Posted June 25, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Oh gray, gray gray. You mean I didn't find a long lost secret? So I should cancel my application to the Patent Office?

No doubt you're exactly right. It is weird that every so often everything works just right, sure wish I could bottle it. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:13 AM

It is weird that every so often everything works just right, sure wish I could bottle it. :excuseme:

Biorhythm synchronization? Planetary alignment? Who knows. I could tell you stories, though.

There is a smidgen of truth in your assumption, though. An increase in rotating mass will increase the gyroscopic effect of that mass, which would make it harder to lean the bike, etc. But I don't know if 10oz is enough to notice in that regard. :bonk:

Either way, I doubt it's patentable. :bummer:

• ben_suhard

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:24 AM

Am I just dreaming?

You may not be just dreaming. I find my YZ450 way easier to power slide and control in corners compared to my KTM525exc, which of course had a fly wheel weight. I think the speed of the rear wheel is much more controllable and it even makes doing wheelies easier(with a lighter flywheel). My theory is that with a heavier flywheel, you wind on the throttle more(over compensate) to get the rear wheel to spin up faster, but then it's harder to get the rear wheel to stop spinning. Hopefully I'm not just dreaming, but I do believe it's better without the extra weight.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 26, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Am I just dreaming?

maybe but 10oz is a lot of weight......I am sure you had 5times the wheel spin with it off - try a 4/5 oz you will really like that.
It turned better because you were going faster...... :excuseme:

• KTMKarl

Posted June 26, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Engine inertia, spin a bicycle wheel in your hand holding on to the axles, try to turn it, kinda wants to stay straight doesn't it? same thing happens with the flywheel weight more weight equals more inertia which resists changing direction. Can be good or bad depending on the machine and suspension settings, its also a good trick to learn, by useing rpm you change your engine inertia and consequently change your motorcycles handeling propertys. Give it some thought. i have had twitchy bikes that really responded well to high rpms in tricky areas where stability was needed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.