Do I need clutch work?

8 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:14 PM

I recently replaced the clutch lever (after a small wipeout bent it 45 degrees) and fiddled around with the manual adjuster. I now notice that the clutch catches only when its almost all the way out. I'm not sure if I just f'd up the adjusters or if I need clutch work. Here's the skinny...

It's an '05 WR450 with approximately 400 trail miles PLUS 8 motos at local motocross tracks. I wouldn't say I abuse the clutch but I do use it to both upshift and downshift. I change the oil after every third ride. I may have overdone it in my last moto burning the clutch out of the corners...not sure.

I know I should rip it apart and look for myself, but hey... I work 50-60 hours a week and have 3 kids I keep busy with...so in the meantime does anyone have an opinion as to whether the clutch is spent or do I just need to play with the adjusters?

Thanks in advance for any info!

• TBone_Boston

Posted June 27, 2006 - 03:16 AM

Could use an opinion or two...
thx

• WGP

Posted June 27, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Start with an oil change (wet Clutch)

Then adjuster nut on lever (mine maxed out with 3200 miles) but still works ok

then new clutch, I have one ready to go in, 180$.

Thats all I got.

• GCannon

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Is the cluthch cable adjusted properly. it may be too tight by my understanding you need at least a 1/8" FREE PLAY between the perch and the lever . I don't think that you have that many miles on it for it to be destroyed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Did the clutch perch get pushed out on the bars? This would cause your cable to be too tight. Other wise rotate your adjuster toward you, (the rider) until you get the right adjustment........

Good luck :excuseme:

• WGP

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Theres 2 adjustments too! The big black knob (fine adjustment) and the small metal one (big adjustment).

• TBone_Boston

Posted June 27, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I lucked out. I brought it in and turns out that (so far) the clutch is NOT spent. Needed some adjustment...thats all.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Us mechanicmorons need all the guidance we can get!

Tony

• ISBB

Posted June 27, 2006 - 06:17 PM

you paid for a clutch adjustment... YIKES!!

• TBone_Boston

Posted June 28, 2006 - 09:06 AM

I had the bike in there for other stuff so I had them look at it while they were in there tinkering around...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.