Lighten up my 06 WR450F

7 replies to this topic
  • otter101

Posted June 25, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Im looking for ideas on how I can reduce the weight of a 06 WR450F. This next pay day, Im doing the air induction kit and putting a YZ rear fender. So far I Have removed the small exhaust baffle and put in the YZ throttle stop in. I would like to lose 15 pounds if possible.
thnks

• Dube2

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:08 PM

shoooda got a YZ.... WR's are not track bikes. they like to screem in wide open areas or just cruise the tight back trails. they are heavier because they need to be, lights, battery, e-start. ect..... tonight at 9pm you could get on the YAMAHA website and see that the 07 WR w/ Alum frame may not even be any lighter. good luck, go big blue!!!!

• davegod

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:14 PM

i have an 05wr450 and the best way i've found to lighten it is to quit eating so much.a mx bike it ain't

• odonnks

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:26 PM

Kickstand
Battery
headlight

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MTrowbridge

Posted June 25, 2006 - 08:08 PM

One trick to make the bike feel/handle lighter is to put on an IMS tank, but fill it just part way. You can hold the same amount of fuel as the stock tank, but because the fuel is held lower (vertically) the bike's center of gravity is lower.

Plus, you've also now got a tank that will take you 60+ miles rather than the 40+ of the OEM tank if you choose to fill it completely.

• nitronaf

Posted June 25, 2006 - 10:43 PM

So far my biggest weight savings have been
Headlight replaced with acerbis diamond
FMF TI pipe
YZ rear fender+ led lights
Trail tech computer

Thats all ive done.......im so lame :excuseme:

I think the next ones worth doing for me is
E line carbon skidplate
Titanium rotor bolts
Titanium sproket bolts
Misc large ti fastenings
inner alloy, steel outter rear sproket (still havnt found the one i saw grrrr....help?)
STM clear clutch cover

• odonnks

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I'm not sure what the stock WR pipe weighs but I recently picked up a near new 05 titanium YZ pipe. It weighed in at 4.8 lbs and is a direct bolt on replacement.

I gotta believe the stocker weighs a good bit more.

• Matty05

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:33 PM

The way to loose 15lbs straight up is loose the E-start and starter gear.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.