Rear tire probs...

9 replies to this topic
  • 450GN

Posted June 25, 2006 - 03:10 PM

well i currently have a tire my back tire that is starting to get worn down...

i was wondering if it is possible to switch sides of the brake rotor and sprocket so that i could just switch those instead of taking off the tire and rotating it and then putting it back on...

it looks to me like this would be possible but just want to make sure before i go ahead and try it..

i did a search and came up with nothing so just wondering if someone could help me out

thanks! :excuseme:

• davegod

Posted June 25, 2006 - 03:29 PM

no you can't.if you dismount and reverse the tire you will probably have more traction going forward but will lose braking ability.new tire is in your future i would guess.if you're not racing and just play riding and looking for a good all around tire try a dunlop952 size 110/100-19.although not the absolute pinnacle of performance compared to "race" compounds it performs well on a mixture of sufaces and wears decently.consider a front also if the side knobs are cracked and breaking off.a $50 tire is cheaper than a taking a soil sample with your face

• Satch0922

Posted June 25, 2006 - 03:32 PM

i was wondering if it is possible to switch sides of the brake rotor and sprocket so that i could just switch those instead of taking off the tire and rotating it and then putting it back on...

that is funny....I like a little humor every now and then!
:excuseme:

• 450GN

Posted June 25, 2006 - 05:05 PM

ahh glad i crack you up *******

the rim looked symetrical to the both sides and was just asking... thanks for your useless comment

anywyas...
i have a newer kenda millville rear tire that has worn down a bit after about 4 races

the tire is for soft compound on one side... intermediate the other way..
so my soft has worn and time to switch to the int.

guess i will have to bust out my tire irons and do it the ol fashion way... so much for a short cut

• mxrayser

Posted June 26, 2006 - 08:56 PM

at least he asked, although humorous!! Michelin MH3 Starcross best rear tire ive EVER used

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elcamino76

Posted June 27, 2006 - 05:20 AM

i second the Michelin tire, best ive ever used also, but if you are really cheap and cant change a tire you can alway cut the knobbies so you have a sharp edge, takes time but it'll hook up well. :excuseme:

• flintlock28

Posted June 27, 2006 - 12:56 PM

I hope those Michelins are pretty good.....they sure cost an arm and a leg, even on TT.

I run a Maxxis IT on the rear that wears like iron, along with a Dunlop 756 for the front. This combo works great for just about everything but pure Mud...this combo was recommended by quite a number of TT people.

Next I'm gonna try the Maxxis St up front along with the IT for the rear....

The rear has been on for about 10 months, and needs changing, but it's been a great tire. Numerous hard packed trails, rocky trails, mud, and loamy MX tracks, with Zero chunking. My buddy ran the same bike with a Kenda, and it chunked like crazy.

• Satch0922

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:35 PM

at least he asked, although humorous!! Michelin MH3 Starcross best rear tire ive EVER used

just a little scary,,,,,, but hey....what do I know.

• elcamino76

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:52 PM

hey 450GN, got any pics of you GN, i would really like to see it...........

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 27, 2006 - 04:58 PM

the tire is for soft compound on one side... intermediate the other way..
so my soft has worn and time to switch to the int.

are you seriuos? i thought the terrian it was ment for was inter/soft. like a mix of soft and intermediate :bonk: how do i tell which way it is?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.