Proper way to check oil level?

12 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted June 25, 2006 - 01:16 PM

'01 WR426F
I have read the manual several times (but it is for a YZ450F, came with used bike) and don't fully understand.

When I check my oil with the bike totally cold using the frame oil tank dip stick, I get no reading at all, is this normal when cold? I am not going to ride it until I do an oil change but I need to know how to check the oil first before I change it.

Also, after draining oil, replacing oil filter and reinstalling all oil drain plugs, do I just refill with 1 Quart of oil to start and then check the oil level with the dipstick? Or is there another way to do this so I don't overfill with oil nor do I start the bike with too little oil before topping off?

The manual says to warm up the engine before checking the oil level, so should there be any reading on the dipstick when the engine is cold?

Thanks for helping a noob.

• Stranglersfan

Posted June 25, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi,
start by adding 1ltr of oil after you've completely drained the old oil. then run the bike until it's warm, then check the oil level on the dipstick again and continue to add oil until it reaches approx half way between the marks on the dipstick. Just sit the dipstick in the slot to take a reading, you don't have to screw it in everytime. The reason why there is no reading on the dipstick is because all the oil drains down into the engine after a while and once started again, it circulates using the frame as a kind of sump, this aids performance as only a minimum amount of oil is used to lubricate the moving parts rather than have them "swimming" in oil which is wasted energy. Hope this helps? :excuseme:

important! Make sure you warm the engine before draining the old oil, this helps "rinse out" any crud or metallic bits that can stick to the engine etc, also, it is vital to replace the filter every oil change unless you have a re-usable one. These engines love frequent oil changes, keep them regular and you'll have many years use out of it :bonk:

• clark4131

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:27 PM

You don't check the oil cold, ever, so get it out of your head. Run the bike for a minute, shut it off, then check it. Yes, it's just that simple :excuseme: ...SC

• hartzpad

Posted June 25, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the quick answers, I can now get to changing my oil w/o worrying. After that, I'll tackle checking/adjusting the valves.

• desarc

Posted November 23, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Last night I changed the oil on an '05 YZ450F. I warmed up the bike before draining the oil, and plenty came out. I replaced the oil filter (made sure it wasn't on backwards), and added 1.2 liters per the manual with the dipstick out. The bike sat for a while before I checked the dipstick reading, as I was cleaning my air filter. Once I checked the oil there was no reading at all on the dipstick. Is it possible that the bike was just too cold to get a reading since it had been sitting for a while as I was working? My air filter was too wet to put back so I couldn't warm the bike up again to check that it's ok. What do you think? Putting the air filter back in today so I can check it then. But I don't want to wait all day hoping that warming it up will solve the problem...

• zlathim

Posted November 23, 2011 - 10:40 AM

When the bike sits, the oil drains from the frame down into the crankcase. You will never get an accurate oil level reading unless you have just had the bike running in the last few minutes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RasmusDK

Posted November 23, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Idle 3 min. Check oil.

• desarc

Posted November 23, 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thanks guys. I put the air filter back in and let it idle and it read just fine. Relieved :lol:

• BajaFool

Posted November 23, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Desarc,
Not that it matters a whole lot in the cosmic scheme of life, but the correct amount of oil to add to your engine after an oil and filter change is 1.1L, not 1.2L. You would add 1.2L of oil to an engine that had been disassembled, cleaned of all engine oil, reassembled and a new filter installed. You do not completely empty all of the oil from the engine when you perform an oil change. Thus you actually overfill the engine when you add 1.2L of oil to the crankcase. Yes, I know .1L/3.4 oz doesn't seem like much oil, but it is 10 percent too much.

Your manual states the oil change amounts as follows:
Oil capacity:
Engine oil
Periodic oil change 1.0 L (0.88 Imp qt, 1.06 US qt)
With oil filter replacement 1.1 L (0.97 Imp qt, 1.16 US qt)
Total amount 1.2 L (1.06 Imp qt, 1.27 US qt)

• desarc

Posted November 28, 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ok, thanks BajaFool! :lol:

• RasmusDK

Posted November 28, 2011 - 03:21 PM

Desarc,
Not that it matters a whole lot in the cosmic scheme of life, but the correct amount of oil to add to your engine after an oil and filter change is 1.1L, not 1.2L. You would add 1.2L of oil to an engine that had been disassembled, cleaned of all engine oil, reassembled and a new filter installed. You do not completely empty all of the oil from the engine when you perform an oil change. Thus you actually overfill the engine when you add 1.2L of oil to the crankcase. Yes, I know .1L/3.4 oz doesn't seem like much oil, but it is 10 percent too much.

Your manual states the oil change amounts as follows:
Oil capacity:
Engine oil
Periodic oil change 1.0 L (0.88 Imp qt, 1.06 US qt)
With oil filter replacement 1.1 L (0.97 Imp qt, 1.16 US qt)
Total amount 1.2 L (1.06 Imp qt, 1.27 US qt)

No you are 0.5 L of, a wr426 needs 1.5 L, with filter 1.6 L.

http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Desarc,
Not that it matters a whole lot in the cosmic scheme of life, but the correct amount of oil to add to your engine after an oil and filter change is 1.1L, not 1.2L.

No you are 0.5 L off, a wr426 needs 1.5 L, with filter 1.6 L.

Rasmus is quoting for the OP in this 5 year old post.

Desarc's bike is an '05 YZ450, which takes the amounts listed in Baja's post above.

• RasmusDK

Posted November 29, 2011 - 12:33 PM

Oh crap, sry didnt catch that! Cheers grey

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.