Water Pump Experience

1 reply to this topic
  • kskyles

Posted June 25, 2006 - 08:17 AM

On my last ride, I noticed some coolant leaking out of the weep hole on the water pump. As a ThumperTalk enthusiast, I automatically searched and found a lot of good information and pics about replacing the impeller shaft and seals.

I’m not a very skilled mechanic, but I’ve been collecting tools and working on my own bikes for a couple of years. I decided to do this job by myself.

I got the parts from a previous post from Tarfele and started in on Thursday night. I was able to get the exhaust, oil lines, oil filter cover, clutch cover, and water pump cover, and right crank case cover off with out any issues.

I then replaced the seals and started putting everything else back together in reverse order. I normally put all the case and cover bolts in, then torque them with my torque wrench last. I started torquing, and some neighbors came by to chat. I was turning the 2nd to the last bolt on the case while chatting with the neighbors, and I snapped it off. I was pissed at myself. That was one of the dumbest things I’ve done with my bike. I went to sleep angry.

I woke up Friday morning, tried some bolt extractors, but couldn’t get it out. I took everything apart again, and was lucky that a stub was left on the bolt, and I could turn it out with a pair of pliers.

I got it back together and started filling it with coolant, and found another leak at the top of the water pump where the radiator hose connects to the pump. In my haste, I had buggered up the o-ring. I had to go back to the dealer to buy one, since I didn’t have the time to search an auto parts store.

The job that should’ve taken me 2 hours, took about 7 hours and three trips to the dealer. The good part is that I got it together in time for a long ride on Saturday without any issues.

After all this, I learned a few lessons:
1. Always call the dealer with part numbers ready. You probably know more about bikes than most of the parts monkeys do.
2. It’s a good idea to replace bearings and other seals while replacing others since you have the case open.
3. Take your time so you don’t break bolts like a rookie.
4. No matter how much time it takes, wrenching your own bike gives you satisfaction that you can’t find else where.

Good luck, everyone!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 06WR450FSM

Posted June 26, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Nice post. :excuseme:

No matter how many mechanical repairs I do (and it's a lot), it always takes way longer than I think it should and f-ing up is far too easy...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.