Sticky First Gear

2 replies to this topic
  • jamestoo

Posted June 24, 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hi Just recently my 2002 650r BRP has been acting up on first gear selection eg when i stop and tap the shifter all the way down it would appear to be in first gear but when i then try to find neutral its not there. Couple of times i've stalled or gone to pull away in what i thought was 1st and then dragged the clutch as it was actually in second.

I have hade some adjustments to the clutch lever/cable but this doesnt seem to make any difference.

For the last 1000/1200 miles (1 filter 2 Oil changes) i've been using Castrol 10/40 Oil (not the friction reduction stuff!) and up till now its been running fine. Before this I was using Silkoline Synthetic Bike Oil.

My clutch doesnt seem to be slipping

The bike has now done 3200 miles from new and has been ridden hard on road and off, looked after and serviced but never raced

Can anyone shead any light on whats going on is my clutch or bush on its way out?

Any thoughts would be great

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted June 24, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I went from Castrol to Honda Oil, and experience a similar problem. I'm back to the Castrol and the "sticky" first gear problem went away.
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

• Maniak

Posted June 25, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I have an L not R but first used castrol and had a very slight similar problem, switched to Motol synthentic and is perfect. But I would check your clutch, adjustment and wear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.