New to the XR - Question about 600R and 650's

7 replies to this topic
  • jbobst

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I am currently a Suzuki DR650 owner (and I really love the DR). I have a friend who has a 1998 Honda XR600 sitting in his storage shed collecting dust. He doesn't ride it anymore (and hasn't ridden it in for the past four years). He has offered to sell it to me for $1500, and I think that is a pretty good deal and am seriously considering buying it.

He thinks that it needs a good carburator cleaning though before it will start up. I really know very little about mechanical stuff, but is a caburator cleaning something I can easily do myself, or should I spend some money to have it done professionally?

Also, could someone breifly explain the Honda XR line to me? I am familiar with the Suzuki DR line of bikes...and they seem to keep it pretty simple. In the 600-650cc size bike, Suzuki pretty only has one bike, and they have had the same bike for about 10 years now. However, Honda had 600's and 650's...R and L models. I believe the R's are not street legal off the showroom floor and that the L's are. However, is there ANY other difference between the R and L's? Are the engines and suspension the same? Looking at the Honda website, it seems that the L model is less expensive...which is interesting seeing that it appears to have actually MORE things included, like electric starting, better lights, etc. Also, I assume the don't make the 600 models anymore, but is there, or was there much difference between the 600 and the 650's?

Lastly, is a 1998 600R a decent bike to get? I realize that is a pretty subjective thing to ask, but maybe it was prone to some particular problem, or maybe it was the most solid bike ever built. Just hoping for some basic information before I purchase the thing.

Thanks for any information!

Jeff

• MindBlower

Posted June 24, 2006 - 06:22 AM

The R and L are completely different bikes. The L's are a much older design with less power and suspension than the 650R which is ALSO a totally different bike than that 600R! Went to water cooling and much higher power output with the 650. Total redesign of the bike to update it.

That said, the 600 is an awesome bike too. SOLID as an anvil. Heavy but unstoppable. I had a 96 that I dual sported and I loved it. Will be much more capable off road than your DR. If you don't want it would you pass the guys number to me? :excuseme:

• Jon-D

Posted June 24, 2006 - 08:50 AM

if the bike is in at least fair condition $1500 is a good deal. the carb will have to be removed and a generous amount of carb cleaner will be needed to remove the varnish. then use compressed air to clean it all out. you can also buy rebuild kits off of e-bay for about $20.

from 93 on the XR 600R's are nearly identical and the XR line is one of the most proven reliable bikes that I can think of.

• timothypg

Posted June 25, 2006 - 07:26 AM

If this help's i have an 86 xr6r and it is strong as ever. never been into the engine, no problems at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MortimerSickle

Posted June 26, 2006 - 12:25 PM

He thinks that it needs a good carburator cleaning though before it will start up. I really know very little about mechanical stuff, but is a caburator cleaning something I can easily do myself, or should I spend some money to have it done professionally?

Before you tear into the carb, try putting an overdose of carb cleaner into an almost empty tank, then open the float bowl drain long enough to fill the carb with cleaner. Let set for a day or two, then drain bowl with the gas shut off. Fill the tank, and see how the engine runs.

I did this on an '88 XR600 that had been sitting for 3 years, and it now runs fine.

Maybe you'll be lucky, too.

• azmanxman

Posted June 26, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Take the fact that the first guy who replied is interested in it if you're not, as a vote of confidence.

I have a 95 xr600 and I love it. Went to it from a KLR650. A world of difference. You'll have a similar experience from your DR.

The XR is rock solid and built for Arizona. I'm in Tucson and it gets HOT. I've never had any problems with the air cool thing.

The carb is easy to remove and clean. Don't let that worry you.

$1500 sounds like a great price. Especially if it's been cared for.

Also, getting it street legal is also a piece of cake. I did mine for about $50. Then it's 'go anywhere'.

Craig

• Hoverboy

Posted June 26, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Take the fact that the first guy who replied is interested in it if you're not, as a vote of confidence.

I have a 95 xr600 and I love it. Went to it from a KLR650. A world of difference. You'll have a similar experience from your DR.

The XR is rock solid and built for Arizona. I'm in Tucson and it gets HOT. I've never had any problems with the air cool thing.

The carb is easy to remove and clean. Don't let that worry you.

$1500 sounds like a great price. Especially if it's been cared for.

Also, getting it street legal is also a piece of cake. I did mine for about $50. Then it's 'go anywhere'.

Craig

Amen to what Craig said. :busted: I had a 2000 XR650R, and just recently sold it to by a low time 03 BRP. These bikes rip, and I love to tool it around Arizona. It was easy to make street legal, and is fun for short trips, or longer ones across the state. My 00 BRP had a Clarke desert tank on it, and I will be buying one for my 03. With this tank, I took it all across the state, riding on rough nasty stuff, to more open fast stuff. The bike has a huge envelope of possibilities. I grew up riding an XR 80 and YZ 80. The YZ was a faster bike, but more maintenance, overheated, had to mix the gas, blah blah blah. The XR was too much fun, and i beat the hell out of it! Guess what.....I still have it! I just had a baby boy not too long ago, and when he is old enough, it will be his bike. :excuseme:
I had my fun on the race bikes, 125's, 250's, etc, but I always went back to the XR's. I have also owned a 96 KLX 650R and a 94 DR 350, both good bikes, but didn't seem as versital as the XR's. Since then I have had XR250's Xr400's, Xr600's, and 650's. You can't go wrong with that XR600, buy it before someone else does. My dad had an 87 XR600, and I used to sneak it out all the time......fast and fun!!!
:bonk:

-RC

• WebGringo

Posted November 11, 2006 - 03:15 PM

just go for it man.

its a bulletprof design , fast , fun ,reliable , and no bullshit added , as eletric starter and so on , wich mean less stuff that can go wrong.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.