cracked case

5 replies to this topic
  • 450_rider

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:49 PM

I was out riding the other day and i have always noticed a little dirt with oil on it on my bike, but i just figured it was from the discharge tube. Well, I came into my garage in the morning and noticed oil down my bike stand, not much but enough for me to check it out. Turns out that the right side on my engine case has a small crack where it bolts itself to the frame. The guys at my local Yamaha shop are sending it out to this guy and welding it up all nice from the inside going to run me around $700 cdn. Real bummer but do any of you guys know how it might crack? Its never hit anything and it shouldn't be from jumping it.

• Gerry B

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:57 PM

I had a small crack on the bottom of my case and it was leaking a little oil. I know this is going to sound like a rig job but I put a little JB Weld and it fixed the crack right up.

• hedpi

Posted June 23, 2006 - 10:11 PM

700$ for welding? is that normal?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfmatt

Posted June 23, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Thats WAAAAAY to much just to weld up a crack like that. I would say $100 at the most. And thats if you want it really nice.. JB weld does just fine (as Gerry said)

• True450

Posted June 23, 2006 - 10:29 PM

This might be out there, but I have a 2004 YFZ450 bottom end for sale in peices. I know they are different but could work. Needs a crank and oil pump. Allin good condition. The crank went at 6 1/2 moths after new. Sitting in basement now. Even the gears as I have read will go in a 03-05 YZ450 bike. Thanks, Jeff

• 450_rider

Posted June 24, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Oh its $700 for the shop to take the engine out and take it apart and ship it get it welding and but it back together. I just wish i was more mechanically inclined.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.