My chain slider FIX, how does it look? (Pictures) Couple other questions too!

12 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hey, well I said in my other thread that I was going to buy that TM Kit for my 450, but at 165+Shipping, it's really out of my price range, my stock chain guide and slider are in good shape, my swingarm had a little wear on it from chain slap, so I did this fix:

I spread silicone on swingarm, under where the slider goes, not much, just a good amount to keep the slap from hitting the arm, maybe 1 or 2 mm of silicone. Then I siliconed around the edges which also "shot" more silicone under the slider I would guess, it's just like caulking a bathroom. My Dad just remodeled our bathrooms, and he had some extra silicone left over, thats why I tackled this project.

I didn't add foam, or metal plate like some of you have, just stright silicone, and I didnt punch bigger holes or anything with sockets for the screws, I made sure the screws can screw all the way into the swingarm without coming untight, which they can, and it looks really sharp for my first time ever using caulk gun.

I also noticed Yamaha slacked off when adding silicone around wires that go into the crankcase, so I added a bit more, some of you may got a lot on your bikes, but I noticed some of mine was peeling off and there wasnt much...

Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also had questions about my sprockets, I was wondering if my stock sprockets are still in good enough shape so I don't have to buy sprockets AND a new chain...take a look please:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the LONG thread agian, seems everytime I start one there long! :excuseme:

• kid on a 426

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Nice job with the silicone. Did you use tape to get it so good? As for the sprockets, they look plenty good.

• barch88

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:11 PM

No, I didn't use anything, just my finger and a rag. Okay cool, that saves me some money then!

Thanks, Mike.

• flintlock28

Posted June 24, 2006 - 07:14 AM

Grayracer's mod is better than just using Silicon to hold the slider down. According to Yamaha, the slider needs to move slightly, thus that is why those metal cups are used along with the oversized slider holes to allow movement (freeplay). If you just silicon down the slider, than you are giving up the freeplay, and will probably get accelerated wear of the slider. My swingarm is worn, and I'm going to put sheet steel down first and then use silicon...that way the slider can still move a little as intended.

• barch88

Posted June 24, 2006 - 09:25 AM

Well, when my slider wears down I will buy the TM kit.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 24, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Looks like you did a good job on the slider :excuseme: I'm going to just buy the TM and be done with it... I'm only going to get the slider though, not the kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfmatt

Posted June 24, 2006 - 12:26 PM

You did a really clean job, it looks good. It looks factory :excuseme:

• yogist

Posted June 24, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I just bought a stock slider...Going to cut out some stainless for underneath the new one...new sprokets and chain also.....Thnx for the silicone idea...Ill do that also...

• barch88

Posted June 24, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I have a huge list of things to buy, so whenever this slider wears out, I will have the TM slider for a replacement, for now this works.

My list is as follows:

TWIN AIR FILTER
READY RACING COMPFLOW OIL FILTER
DEVOL EXTREME RADIATOR GUARDS
WORKS CONNECTION REAR MASTER CYLINDER GUARD
TM DESIGNWORKS 2 STAGE SUPER PROTECTOR, BLACK
RENTHAL CHAIN & SPROCKET KIT 13; 49 / SILVER DID ERV2 X-RING / 120 LINKS
TM DESIGNWORKS POWERLIP RACE ROLLER 550BK
TM DESIGNWORKS POWERLIP RACE ROLLER 212BK

• RCannon

Posted June 24, 2006 - 02:26 PM

If your current career ever goes bad, you have a future in calking things...DAMN, you did a good job on that.

I usually end up wearing more than I apply.

• barch88

Posted June 24, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hah, Im only 17, but I will keep that in mind.

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2006 - 10:00 PM

I just bought a stock slider...Going to cut out some stainless for underneath the new one...new sprokets and chain also.....Thnx for the silicone idea...Ill do that also...

Glue the steel sheet down, but not the slider.
See step 3 If you're going to glue the slider in place, you may as well not bother with the plate. Sort of defeats the purpose of creating the wear plate in the first place.

• yogist

Posted June 25, 2006 - 06:12 AM

Glue the steel sheet down, but not the slider.
See step 3 If you're going to glue the slider in place, you may as well not bother with the plate. Sort of defeats the purpose of creating the wear plate in the first place.

I see, that slider was designed to move around..Didnt realize that... :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.