2006 Rear Axle Bolt

10 replies to this topic
  • Mighty_Whitey

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Im baffled here.

I am remounting the rear wheel on the 06YZ450f after getting a new tire. Everything looks good, the chain has the the correct slack set, everything is aligned and straight.

The axle slides through the hub with normal (moderate) resistance.

As I tighten the rear nut it will begin to get very tight like it should, then suddenly there is a very loud POP! If I continue to turn the axle nut it begins to get very tight and then a loud POP! again. I cant tell if the pop is coming from the axle or hub area...but my feeling is there is a great release of energy.

Sooo, I pull the axle out and pop in the axle from my 2004 YZ450f....same damn thing. :bonk:

FYI...this happens at about 75 foot pounds on the torque wrench. (no it's not the torque wrench pop either :busted:)

Is there something in the design of the axle nut/axle that will only allow it to get so tight then it pops?

Thanks for the input!

:excuseme:

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:05 PM

You axle nut could be striped.....maybe? Have you checked that????

• Mighty_Whitey

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Yes, I thougth the same thing at first. Then I switched to a completely different axle and axle nut with the same results.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I just asked my mom.....YES MY MOM!!!!!......and she said to try a little bit of grease on the back of the nut (put lock tight on the bolt).......see if that might help. She says its just the metal of the nut rubbing on the metal of the swing arm witch is making that poping noise.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Something doesn't sound right there, I would take the back wheel off and check everything including the wheel bearings. Make sure nothing is binding up... it sounds like the axle is hanging up on something. Does the wheel tighten up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:38 PM

do you have the spacers on the correct sides? if not, the axle will just spin

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:41 PM

do you have the spacers on the correct sides? if not, the axle will just spin

HAHAHAHA that would be just strait funny right there.

• CRF RedRider

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM

I just asked my mom.....YES MY MOM!!!!!......and she said to try a little bit of grease on the back of the nut (put lock tight on the bolt).......see if that might help. She says its just the metal of the nut rubbing on the metal of the swing arm witch is making that poping noise.

This is true when you get metal rubbing against metal. You might have a hard time hearing your torque wrench. Might want to take it back off and check for an even surface on both the nut and swingarm. You could put a small amount of grease or graphite behind the nut. Don't forget to use lock-tit the nut.

• Mighty_Whitey

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:06 PM

I figured it out. :excuseme:

Process of elimination. I took the wheel off the swingarm and used 4 of my old spare axle blocks and a flag mount (for Glamis) to "shim" the left side of the hub. Thus taking the place of a solid mass like the left side of the Y swingarm. Basically I wanted to eliminate the swingarm, chain guide and brake assembly from the equation.

Sure enough at about 80 foot lbs this time there was another loud pop. Now I knew it must be the wheel bearings or spacers. I took the axle off, removed the spacers and stuck my pinky finger in the hole to feel the spacer that rides between the two wheel bearings. That thing was looser than Pamela Anderson after a house boat trip to Lake Powell. I could guesstimate at least 1/16 inch of slop both horizontally and vertically. It looks like when I got the new wheel bearings put in a while ago they used either the wrong wheel bearings or the wrong spacer! :bonk:

Anyway. It's back to the stock wheels and my beautiful black wheels that I have been keeping for 3 months for the new bike will have to wait. :busted:

Oh....I feel bad for dragging you all through my escepade so, because everyone loves pictures, here are some of my wheel set:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:21 PM

you probably never greased the bearings. you have to remove the dust seals and pack them.

• sic

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:50 PM

damn, you are lucky you caught that. sounds like it could have been fatal. my guess is you destroyed either a wheel bearing or the hub itself. that pop was something giving in a big way. something splitting and shearing.

Sic

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.