Rim lock

3 replies to this topic
  • Muddin

Posted June 23, 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have stock rims on my 2006 XR650L. I guess Honda couldn't :excuseme: afford the rim locks so stuck a rubber plug in instead. I'm soon going to replace my tires and am wondering how to tell what size lock to use.

• cleonard

Posted June 23, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Rim locks need to match the rim in size. I don't have a 650L, but I'm pretty sure, like 99.9%, that they are 2.15 inches. It is normally stamped into the side of the rim. Take a look and see what size they are.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 24, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Rim locks need to match the rim in size. I don't have a 650L, but I'm pretty sure, like 99.9%, that they are 2.15 inches. It is normally stamped into the side of the rim. Take a look and see what size they are.

Yep. Match the lock to the rim width. 1.60 front, 2.15 rear. You can order them online for 1/3 of what a shop will sell them to you for. Over 5-7 bux is too much.

Also, when mounting the tire, try an find the heavy spot, and mount it opposite of the rim lock for better balance. When I had my Pirelli's mounted, I had them balanced as well. Shop was like, "Huh? It's a dirt bike." I told them "Yes, but it's a DS, and can go 75MPH on the slab." They happily obliged.

• RUSTYCLUTCH

Posted June 24, 2006 - 02:32 PM

But the real truth is that honda makes the best rim lock,only bummer is the price, about $25.00 retail. Heres the oem part# 42715-MA0-770 2.15 RR Rim Lock

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.