Fileings in oil

4 replies to this topic
  • crazycanuck

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys, I bought a 2000 yz426 a couple months ago and have only riden it 3 or 4 times, all short trips say 15 to 20 kilometers each. I decided it was time to change the oil. I pulled the oil filter and noticed small filings in the fins. I washed the filter in clean gas and saw that there was quite a bit of material, i dont have a magnet so i dont know if its steel, and i didnt see any brass. Is it normal to have some filings between oil changes, i know when braking in a new engine you will get some material on the first oil change. This is my first 4 stroke so any info would be appreciated. :excuseme:

• cowboyona426

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Some crud in the filter isn't uncommon, most of it is likely from the clutch. Do yourself a favor and get a magnetic drain plug, it will catch a majority of the stuff before it reaches your filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:52 PM

I always have a little bit of metal on the filter. Like cowboy says I think it is normal.

• SRT426

Posted June 23, 2006 - 03:08 AM

Do like cowboy said, get a magnetic plug because it really helps to get the larger chunks. And just change your oil every couple ride to keep everything flushed real good.

• CuLayTur

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:28 AM

A small amount isn't that bad... But if you have alot, there could be other issues... I was finding my screen covered with every oil change... I found the problem eventually when my cam chain wore a hole thru my cylinder and wall leaking oil from the chain being worn out...... Just watch the amount.

Curt

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.