test rode a wr today

21 replies to this topic
  • jonmt

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:13 PM

I test rode a new 06 wr450 today at the dealer and It was stock...... totally stock had .4 hours on it.... was the first words to my mouth when I tried to pull a first gear wheelie :excuseme:

If all the free mods are done to the bike will it be a different bike? I guess I should have jumped on the yz 450 and then made up my mind but holy cow was I disapointed. I guess reading all these posts really got me thinking these bikes were the cats meow.

Now for the good parts. Going around their flat track with little bumps and a turn in it made up for the lack of power. Handles really nice lighter then I thought and wow it soaked up the bumps. I could see this bike being nice to ride in the tight woods up in the mountains. Electric start was nice and the bike felt really good.
Oh well maybe I should hop on the yz and then make up my mind.
any body else have this experience?

• XRYoda

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:08 PM

The free mods make a HUGE difference. Damn near as fast as the YZ. Do a search.

• camaro345

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:09 PM

A totally stock WR450F is like a XR100. Ride a YZ or a Wr that has had the free mods done and then tell us what you think. Its not even close to the same bike. Fourth gear wheelies become very easy.

• Matty05

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:31 PM

If all the free mods are done to the bike will it be a different bike? I guess I should have jumped on the yz 450 and then made up my mind but holy cow was I disapointed. I guess reading all these posts really got me thinking these bikes were the cats meow.

Totally agree. I nearly cried when I first started my bike up for the first time, not tears of joy. It was upsetting to say the least.

Stock WR's suck big time. Luckily, it is very easy to gain huge ammounts of power very cheaply.

One thing you should do for sure is test ride that YZ. They are soooo much lighter and more powerful. They are the bench mark for all of us guys with WR's.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:33 PM

Your choice between YZ and WR should come down to how and where you are going to ride. If I didn't need to be street legal and use a wide ratio to have reasonable rpm at highway speeds (supermoto setup), I'd have bought a YZ.

For me, the WR (with mods) is the right bike. I can run 75 mph and still have tons of reserve power for passing. When I ride in tight woods in dirt setup, I personally would like to have tighter gearing, although its probably not necessary with the WR's broad torque band.

• bluebike1999

Posted June 23, 2006 - 12:50 AM

unless you intend to do a lot of drag racing, or find it simply does not have enough power available to keep up with those you ride with, do as few mods as possible.
If you intend to keep the bike for a number of years, try to be on the conservative side of the 'free mods' and do them in stages instead of trying to make a fire breathing rocket first up.
if you intend only having 12-18 months and then updating, go for it, do the lot.
this is basic logic, but, the more power it produces, the quicker things bust
and in stock form the bike will cover more ground, faster, less tyre wear, chain wear, etc, and last much longer and require less maintenance.

its natural for us to be excited by a rush of power, but a(stock) wr is a sophisticated peice of engineering, designed to take an average to good rider over a huge range of surfaces, in the most efficient manner.

as i understand, the WR is designed to produce it's most aggressive power high in the rev range, where wheelspin is less likely, thus grip being maintained for longer. more grip/less wheelspin= faster times.
dont let the lack?? of grunt make you believe it is slow.

having preached all this conservatism, i have done mods on my bike because it feels good and for no other reason.
this is my opinion only, based more on research here, than genuine mechanical knowledge.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 23, 2006 - 02:31 AM

I test rode a new 06 wr450 today at the dealer and It was stock...... totally stock had .4 hours on it.... was the first words to my mouth when I tried to pull a first gear wheelie :excuseme:

Now for the good parts. Going around their flat track with little bumps and a turn in it made up for the lack of power. Handles really nice lighter then I thought and wow it soaked up the bumps. I could see this bike being nice to ride in the tight woods up in the mountains. Electric start was nice and the bike felt really good.
Oh well maybe I should hop on the yz and then make up my mind.
any body else have this experience?

My 2004 WR450 was the same way the day I brought it home. Rode it for about 20 miles then did all the free mods, put a FMF powercore on it and now I can't even hardly hang on. It's so fast now! Love it!

• johnnyjeep

Posted June 23, 2006 - 03:24 AM

After reading the post here, I was expecting the stock bike to be even slower than it was, so i wasnt as dissappointed as much as i should have been. The mods do make a huge difference.

John in Vegas

• jonmt

Posted June 23, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Ok I guess I will have to throw a leg over on the yz and hope it is :excuseme:

what can you expect for only half throttle :busted:

I really hope I can expect 4th gear wheelies and tons of torque down low
Well off to work and when I get back from my trip will have to run by the dealer and get :bonk: with the yz.
thanks guys

• sausage boy

Posted June 23, 2006 - 11:27 AM

i have an 05 wr450 with a white brothers pipe, a power blade and all the free mods and the power is more than enough. remember, it all depends on the type of area you are riding, if you are riding demanding land scape then the more power you have the harder it will become towards the end of the day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonmt

Posted June 23, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Yeah I understand that but I am used to my zx11 and my summit x that can wheelie until about 60mph. Both machines were really hard on shoulders until you got used to the pull. Thats what I thought the 450 was going to be like but I guess I was wrong. It probably will be a arm jerker after all the free mods are done but stock was pretty embarasing. My old xt550 would have made it look silly. And that thing is a pig, weight wise.

• Dube2

Posted June 23, 2006 - 12:09 PM

oh ya, the free mods and ais kit($42). you'll never go back. maybe even a PMB pipe insert($60). my 05 pulls like a train. let of the gas and it stops like a deisel jake brake. lookin to get the new 07 aluminum frame for a second bike.

• Matt B

Posted June 23, 2006 - 12:16 PM

maybe its just me, but when my 06 wr450 was stock a 3rd gear wheelie was no problem.....now with a pipe and free mods 4th gear is cake :excuseme:

• jonmt

Posted June 23, 2006 - 01:32 PM

I don't know what you mean by stock but this 06 could barely get the front off the ground in 1st so 3rd was definitly out of the question unless you grabbed a handfull of throttle and poped the clutch for a wheelie but I prefer throttle wheelies :excuseme:

I'll stop whinning and go ride the yz.

• odonnks

Posted June 23, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Ok I guess I will have to throw a leg over on the yz and hope it is :excuseme:

what can you expect for only half throttle :busted:

I really hope I can expect 4th gear wheelies and tons of torque down low
Well off to work and when I get back from my trip will have to run by the dealer and get :bonk: with the yz.
thanks guys

You need to ask what type of riding you want. These are not MXr's. Think Desert racer. Top speed of near 100 with the free mods and stock gearing.
The suspension is more plush than a MXr and will bottom on jumps unless you respring.
The WR does have e-start and lighting which makes for a nice nite trail bike and potential DS ride.

I can say that here in the NE a MXr can't hold a candle to a WR or CRx in tight trails.

They both have a place but its not the same.

• jtrone

Posted June 23, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Bone stock th WR's suck, if you do the free mods they are bad ass bikes!! :bonk: I did the free mods and put a pipe on mine, night and day difference. :busted: Me and my brother, who rides a 06 YZ-450F are always neck and neck when we ride together. My bike seems just as fast as his!
FREE MODS=FAST BIKE AND PLENTY of PONIES!!!! :excuseme:

• b-rad01

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:18 PM

if the wr disapoints don't bother with the yz because there is not a huge differance you better get on husaberg 550 or something with bigger power

• b-rad01

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:22 PM

if the wr disapoints don't bother with the yz because there is not a huge differance you better get on husaberg 550 or something with bigger power

05 wr450
05 husaberg 550

• jonmt

Posted June 24, 2006 - 12:56 PM

I hope the uncorked version of the wr won't disapoint me but you never know. I will have to ride either the yz or an uncorked wr to make that decision but I am really glad I got the chance to ride this bike before I laid down some hard earned cash on it. (it gave me perspective)

Now for the riding it will encounter under my a$$ will be 70/30 dirt then road to get to dirt. Tight mountain trails with a creek crossing here or there. There will not be any competition with this bike because I am far to old and slow healing to dare to jump anything more then 5-10 feet :excuseme:

thanks for all the insight and first hand experience I haven't given up on the wr yet.
jon

• coffee

Posted June 24, 2006 - 01:09 PM

but I am really glad I got the chance to ride this bike before I laid down some hard earned cash on it. (it gave me perspective)

Now for the riding it will encounter under my a$$ will be 70/30 dirt then road to get to dirt. Tight mountain trails with a creek crossing here or there. There will not be any competition with this bike because I am far to old and slow healing to dare to jump anything more then 5-10 feet :excuseme:

thanks for all the insight and first hand experience I haven't given up on the wr yet.
jon

I could not agree more - riding different bikes before buying is a good thing. WR is a NICE bike to me but there may be other bikes you may like as much or more. I have heard that some dirt bikes being sold now even come with license plates if that matters to you.

I wish dealers around here would allow test rides!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.