Reserve at 72 easy street miles?

32 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Yikes! And that's still stock!
On the first stumble I shot a look at the odo and thought, "crap can't be out of gas, I've got a real problem!". :excuseme:

• Bodhisattva

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:38 PM

my last tank seemed like it did not last long, well this next tank full, im monitoring.

• captb

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:16 PM

taller gearing!

• weskc35k

Posted June 22, 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yeah but when you get your first hicup you still have well over what the reserve is.
OK i am in metric so here goes when my bike hiccups and pops i change to res i still have about 3 litres left as it is almost a 10 litre tank it still has 3/10ths left though the reserve is 2 litres or 2/10ths so i have the reserve and a half sort of with whatever fuel is trapped in the left side of the tank.
72 road miles is pretty good that's about 120 kilometres,what is your gearing.

• HawkGT

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:04 PM

The manual indicates the stock tank capacity is 2.64 gallons and reserve is 1.19 gallons. So, reserve is nearly half the tank capacity (burn 1.45 gallons, turn on reserve, and then there's 1.19 left). I figure this was done so if you hit reserve, turn back, and ride ultra conservatively you can get back to where you started [shrug]. Or at least close.

But 72 miles before hitting reserve is very good. That works out to 45 or 50 miles per gallon. When riding in the dunes I hit reserve after something like 35 miles! First time that happened I was shocked!

• MindBlower

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:00 AM

The manual indicates the stock tank capacity is 2.64 gallons and reserve is 1.19 gallons. So, reserve is nearly half the tank capacity (burn 1.45 gallons, turn on reserve, and then there's 1.19 left). I figure this was done so if you hit reserve, turn back, and ride ultra conservatively you can get back to where you started [shrug]. Or at least close.

But 72 miles before hitting reserve is very good. That works out to 45 or 50 miles per gallon. When riding in the dunes I hit reserve after something like 35 miles! First time that happened I was shocked!

Ahh,thanks guys. I haven't gassed it yet to check, but that sounds a lot better than I thought. :excuseme:

• weskc35k

Posted June 23, 2006 - 05:06 AM

www.motorsports-network.com/Honda/mc2000/xr650.htm and go to the bottom for fuel capacity it says that the reserve is .5 of a gallon,quite a few spec sheets say the same maybe the owners manual or these guys have a typo.

• edssco

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Thats one reason I got a Clark 4.7 gas tank.
I like to go on long trail rides
and was getting about 35 MPG a lot of 1&2 gear.
And it's and its 7 lbs lighter ,
$170 Works for me!
Ed

• captb

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Don't forget when you run out on reserve lay the bike over to rt. side to get the fuel over that is trapped on the left side (no crossover line like bikes used to have)

• HawkGT

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:53 AM

www.motorsports-network.com/Honda/mc2000/xr650.htm and go to the bottom for fuel capacity it says that the reserve is .5 of a gallon,quite a few spec sheets say the same maybe the owners manual or these guys have a typo.

I don't think that stat is correct. I know my bike (US model, year 2002) has more than 0.5 gallons of reserve.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:54 AM

You know, I think reserve prob. is a heck of a lot more than 0.5 gallons.
This season I started from a bone dry tank, dumped a heck of a lot of gas into it, and it wouldn't start until I put it on reserve.

Dave

• HawkGT

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Don't forget when you run out on reserve lay the bike over to rt. side to get the fuel over that is trapped on the left side (no crossover line like bikes used to have)

True. Especially on my IMS tank, you have to practically turn the bike upside down to get every drop of fuel out of the left side. There's ON, then there's RES, and then there's a "secondary reserve" of gas trapped on the left side.

• Ferdinand

Posted June 23, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I've found that when hitting reserve, doesn't actually gauge gas mileage very accurately. If I'm riding twisty roads it seems like I don't hit reserve as quick, but if I'm riding mostly straight on highway I hit reserve quicker even when riding about same speeds for both. I think maybe a bit more fuel gets over on the twisty roads, making it not hit reserve as quick making me think I'm getting more gas mileage when actually it's the same. The best way, I've found is fill up to exact same level (as best you can) each time, noting how much it takes at pump and calculate what kind of mileage your are getting.

• MindBlower

Posted June 23, 2006 - 02:59 PM

1.87 gallons at 74.1 miles comes out to about 39.5mpg. Now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't quite as 'gentle' as I'm implied. :excuseme: The first gear power wheelies when crossing the parking lot to my work are becoming quite addicting. Likewise if I'm on higher speed roads I usually like to put some distance to the cars behind me coming off a stoplight.
I'll trying putt putting next week and see what I can get.
Took my Tacoma from 19-20 to 23-24mpg and my Miata from 20 to 25-27 all by putt putting off the stops (both all city driving). That acceleration just kills the mpg. But it's not like I drive like that all the time! :bonk:

• MindBlower

Posted August 23, 2006 - 07:15 PM

How far over do you have to lay it?

• captb

Posted August 23, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I think I leaned it over about 50 degrees when I ran reserve out back when I first got the bike, guess I forgot to get fuel @&^%@#$$%$ I was having too much fun blasting around some long dirt roads.

• Derek00

Posted August 23, 2006 - 10:04 PM

Wow, the only time I got mileage that bad was riding 2 up. Had to flip over to reserve @ 80 miles that day. I usually got over 120mi on a tank riding alone. I can't remember if that was before I did the carb mods and lost a tooth on the front sprocket though. Anyway, those days are behind me now. Went to the 5 gal Acerbis, well over 200 mi on a tank and dual petcocks mean no tipping a 350# pig.

• jamestoo

Posted August 24, 2006 - 02:27 AM

Thats exactly why i got my 6 gallon Acerbis Tank!

I get 300 miles on that :thumbsup:

• pburke

Posted August 24, 2006 - 09:57 AM

never had the stock tank on my bike - it came with the Clarke.

my first run with it was for 150 miles pavement, easy riding, country highway and city mix, only occasionally forgetting about the dangers of high speeds and sudden acceleration. 45.5mpg is what I calculated after filling it up with 3.3 fresh gallons which means the reserve in that tank is at the most 1 gallon, because I didn't hit it yet.

bike is geared 15-45

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted August 24, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Yikes! And that's still stock!
On the first stumble I shot a look at the odo and thought, "crap can't be out of gas, I've got a real problem!". :thumbsup:

So, I had that problem too on a stock XR600R, took care of it with a trip to CycleGear to buy a Clarke plastic tank that holds 5 gallons....now I get 200 miles till I hit reserve if I am busting a move, almost 280 when cruising....Not only that, I have a 7 gallon one for my desert bike, it is an Acerbis, and fargin huge!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.