07 Yamaha Bikes in Vegas NOW!!!

88 replies to this topic
  • Frank_z28

Posted June 26, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I wonder how many times I'll have to keep repeating myself. The goal of an aluminum frame is not always to save weight, when speaking of numbers. An aluminum frame is a lot more rigid than a steel frame and carries its weight lower. The geometry is different...so the number on the scale couldn't differentiate between the two...but the rider in the saddle can tell which is "lighter" right away because of the center of gravity being lower...it makes the bike FEEL light.

Doug

lots of people dont seem to understand that physic law

• MountainMax

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Well I know I looked closely at all the new wr450 pics on the yamaha site, some nice stuff like the tailight and headlight, looks like a bitch to get the carb off now though, or to adjust the rear shock, New handlebars and rear fender, dam lots of changes forsure besides the aluminum frame, when they come with EFI, im gonna have to upgrade and get one.........

• Matty05

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:04 PM

what do ya think about black.

Posted Image

:excuseme:
Make me a red one!

• Triumphs

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:26 PM

the rider in the saddle can tell which is "lighter" right away because of the center of gravity being lower...it makes the bike FEEL light.

Absolutely. It's the difference between riding them and telling the difference...or just being a spec-sheet junkie quoting weight figures. The WR never shed a lot of weight in it's last transformation two years ago... but for much the same reasons finally started to be compared with other 450's instead of 650's for weight "feel"!
I like the new 450... and thankfully they passed on the fuel infection. They can introduce it later on someone elses watch and take the usual year or two to sort out the glitchy throttle reponse as per almost every single street bike that switched over! I'm going for the 07. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted July 01, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Yea why the smaller brakes? Oh My!! What a waist of time! LOL

Per the Yam specs:
Brakes/Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm

Standard rotors are typcially 240mm. Oversized MX rotors are typically 260mm. I see no issue with this break site whatsoever and should provide plenty of stopping power.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 01, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Absolutely. It's the difference between riding them and telling the difference...or just being a spec-sheet junkie quoting weight figures. The WR never shed a lot of weight in it's last transformation two years ago... but for much the same reasons finally started to be compared with other 450's instead of 650's for weight "feel"!
I like the new 450... and thankfully they passed on the fuel infection. They can introduce it later on someone elses watch and take the usual year or two to sort out the glitchy throttle reponse as per almost every single street bike that switched over! I'm going for the 07. :ride:

Most owners will bolt on 5-10lbs. of aftermarket parts anyway... And yes, how a bike feels and carries its weight doesn't show on spec sheets.

• Decreasing Dave

Posted July 01, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, i have read the aluminum frame ends up transmitting more vibrations to the driver, makes it harder to access carb and rear shock, and if it's no lighter, Im wondering if it's really any better at all, and no EFI, dam......

I just came back from the the Yamaha Dealer Show in Vegas. :banana: I know you guys have seen the bikes and may or may not be impressed with the aluminum frame, BUT I SAT ON THE NEW WR!!!

I :ride: an '06 YZ with the A/F and there is less vibration than my buddy's '04 YZ. I also ride with another friend that has an '05 WR. His bike feels VERY top-heavy to me (actually, all of us) compared to my YZ.

So, with that being said, I sat on the NEW WR with the A/F. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! :ride:

The new WR feels every bit as balanced as my YZ does. I'm not sure that I can feel the difference between the YZ and WR now. This is by far a better bike than the previous WRs. :ride:

I hope that helps.

Dave

• kc55555

Posted July 02, 2006 - 10:43 AM

I do not see any AIS tubes on the right hand side of the head on the 07. Maybe a little harder to take off next year!!!

• Seabass

Posted July 02, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I personally think the '07 is a step in the right direction. But only time will tell and I'm real interested in how the reviews for this bike stack up. I've got an '05 that I love but if this bike gets rave reviews I made have to sell and get a new one. I'm suprised people are complaining about the skid plate. I used to ride an XR 650 and the bike came with the same type of skid plate. One of the first things I did was throw away the plastic skid plate and bolted up an aluminum one. I was quite suprised to see Team Honda running the stock plastic skid plate on all their bikes so I asked one of the mechanics why they didn't run an aluminum skid plate. He told me the plastic ones were lighter, worked as well as the aluminum ones, and dissappated heat much better than the aluminum ones.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.