Brand New 650R

8 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted June 22, 2006 - 12:04 PM

Is it worth the money to change out the entire exhaust and header when it is brand new, or use the stock header and after market exhaust, or just go with the "power up kit" tip for the stock exhaust? Please give me your opinions. Thanks

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted June 22, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Just get the Pro Circuit T-4 system and be like JC. :excuseme:

• BWB63

Posted June 22, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Depends on where you need or use the power. A full header/mufler setup will give you more power in the rpm's making the bike pull much longer. So, if you are pulling some speed through the whoops this would be a must. T4 setup or XR's only with an R4 muffler is a three pound weight loss over stock. Other wise just using a drill out (to 2") stock tip or HRC tip is the way to go.

Posted Image

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• Falls A Lot

Posted June 22, 2006 - 01:50 PM

I may in the minority here, but here's how I look at it: The stock stuff is durable as hell and replacement pieces for crash damage can be had on ebay for next to nothing. We have a 96dba sound limit here in Michigan and our club checks at registration for trail rides. I am uncorked with the HRC tip and QS carb. In the tight single-track I ride, there is no way in hell I can use all the power I have, so I have not been looking for more. Plus, the aftermarket systems tend to be tuned more for top-end power, rather than the big torque / grunt power I use to boogie threw the woods in third gear.

I know they look sexy, but I question the long-term durability of some of the aftermarket exhaust system components. As for weight ..... if I was worried about 3 pounds, I sure as hell would NOT have started a woods bike project based on an XR650R.

For me, the $600 - 800 a complete system would cost was down the list a ways, well after suspension upgrades, a QS carb, ergonomic improvements, an auto clutch and protection equipment.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may very. And if you "want" an aftermarket system, by all means get it. Not every mod you make has to comply with the majority opinion here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I may in the minority here, but here's how I look at it: The stock stuff is durable as hell and replacement pieces for crash damage can be had on ebay for next to nothing. We have a 96dba sound limit here in Michigan and our club checks at registration for trail rides. I am uncorked with the HRC tip and QS carb. In the tight single-track I ride, there is no way in hell I can use all the power I have, so I have not been looking for more. Plus, the aftermarket systems tend to be tuned more for top-end power, rather than the big torque / grunt power I use to boogie threw the woods in third gear.

I know they look sexy, but I question the long-term durability of some of the aftermarket exhaust system components. As for weight ..... if I was worried about 3 pounds, I sure as hell would NOT have started a woods bike project based on an XR650R.

For me, the $600 - 800 a complete system would cost was down the list a ways, well after suspension upgrades, a QS carb, ergonomic improvements, an auto clutch and protection equipment.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may very. And if you "want" an aftermarket system, by all means get it. Not every mod you make has to comply with the majority opinion here.

Amen, a voice of reason.

:excuseme:

Read enough posts and you see a lot of "had a XXX brand for two years till it cracked at the welds" posts. OEM quality means just that, good for the long haul. Maybe not as sexy, or trendy, or whatever. But it plain works and lasts.
:bonk:

• Supplicate

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:42 PM

OEM quality means just that, good for the long haul.

either that, or just whatever was the cheapest. Face it, OEM isn't the best quality in the world, if it was we wouldn't ever have to change out the bars.

• 4whlfun

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:44 PM

I have had a complete T-4 for several years. I am plated and ride a lot on the road, but also ride a lot offroad. It has been very durable and it is tunable. Personal opinion junk the stock exhaust. If you where that worried about money you would have bought a chinese piece of junk. :excuseme:

• big t

Posted June 24, 2006 - 02:40 AM

Do some more searches on TT. I have seen quite a few post on the stock system being best. Falls A Lot said it all. The best thing about the after market systems would be weight but who cares about weight on these bikes.

• MindBlower

Posted June 24, 2006 - 06:15 AM

either that, or just whatever was the cheapest. Face it, OEM isn't the best quality in the world, if it was we wouldn't ever have to change out the bars.

Bars yeh, exhausts no. OEM plastic is better than any after market. MOST hard parts are.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.