ThumperTalk DRZ-400 case guards

19 replies to this topic
  • BreakingAway

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Gentlemen,

After a stupid fallover while sitting at rest on my DRZ, I can honestly vouch for the integrity and usefullness of the ThumperTalk DRZ-400 case guards. One word. BUY THEM! After I lost my balance while talking to a neighbor at rest and sitting on the bike, I looked at the left side case guard of my bike where it meets the shift lever and low and behold there was a dent in it! Thanks to those guards, I can walk away with just a bruised ego and no hole in the magnesium side cover on the left side of the bike. Thanks for the idea ThumperTalk!

Gregory. :excuseme:

• thumper929

Posted June 22, 2006 - 10:52 AM

i can second that i got some ages ago ,only took a few days to air carrage from the US to my in the UK....thankyou TT

• Skidder

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I installed the case guards b-4 I had to tell a sad story. Get em there worth the $. Matter of facts you can't afford not to get them because eventually we all fall down. Then your gonna get them anyway's so best to get them b-4 ya fall down. There dirt bikes and we all fall!

• tntmo

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I've got the guards also, my wife had a fall on the left side and of course the case hit a rock. It did put a small crack in the case, but without the guard I think it would have broke. The rock hit right toward the edge of the guard.

• Spartydrz

Posted March 29, 2008 - 04:55 PM

I've got the guards also, my wife had a fall on the left side and of course the case hit a rock. It did put a small crack in the case, but without the guard I think it would have broke. The rock hit right toward the edge of the guard.

Had the bike fall over in the garage and had oil leak everywhere, are there any tricks to changing them? This happend on the shift side but will do both now. Better the garage then the trail!

• E.Marquez

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:53 PM

Had the bike fall over in the garage and had oil leak everywhere, are there any tricks to changing them? This happend on the shift side but will do both now. Better the garage then the trail!

No tricks, new clutch cover, a case guard, a tube of RTV for the case guard... The clutch cover uses a rubber O ring, so you should be able to re use it.

• motox-dan

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:48 PM

While I think these are a good idea, I do have a question. If you need to do maintenance on the bike AFTER installing these guards, do they make it more difficult? Do you need to remove them? If so, how easily can they be removed and reinstalled?

TIA

• Spartydrz

Posted March 29, 2008 - 09:01 PM

I guess from reading a bunch here I should locktite the primary nut on the clutch side and take the larger cover off and locktite the sproket as well>?

2001 drzs with about 2000 miles. Bought a 2007 auto cam chain tenssioner as well. Anything else to do?

• noinoon

Posted March 29, 2008 - 10:20 PM

Not too long ago I fish tailed on the road and laid the bike down on it's left side and thank god I had those savers!

• Spartydrz

Posted March 29, 2008 - 11:24 PM

With a leaking cover from the shifter putting a hole in it, can I simply JB weld the hole and cover with the TT add on covers?

• E.Marquez

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:10 AM

While I think these are a good idea, I do have a question. If you need to do maintenance on the bike AFTER installing these guards, do they make it more difficult? Do you need to remove them? If so, how easily can they be removed and reinstalled?

TIA

They make no difference .. nothing gets in the way.. No change in maintenance

• E.Marquez

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:12 AM

I guess from reading a bunch here I should locktite the primary nut on the clutch side and take the larger cover off and locktite the sproket as well>?

2001 drzs with about 2000 miles. Bought a 2007 auto cam chain tenssioner as well. Anything else to do?

YES
YES
And NO... Toss your 2007 Auto cam chain stretcher in the rubbish can and install a MCCT

• E.Marquez

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:14 AM

With a leaking cover from the shifter putting a hole in it, can I simply JB weld the hole and cover with the TT add on covers?

It's been done before. I would replace the cracked cover, but many will say how they have repaired it succusfully. Me and JB weld type stuff do not get along :prof:

• motox-dan

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:42 PM

They make no difference .. nothing gets in the way.. No change in maintenance

Thanks!

• Tinwings

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:54 PM

It's been done before. I would replace the cracked cover, but many will say how they have repaired it succusfully. Me and JB weld type stuff do not get along :bonk:

The JB weld might actually be tougher than the magnesium ignition side cover! :prof:

• motox-dan

Posted April 13, 2008 - 08:19 PM

Finally got mine. Came last week! I will install them soon.

• osii

Posted April 13, 2008 - 08:23 PM

i bought 3 drz's and wouldn't ride any of them until i had the case guards.

• mbrogden

Posted August 05, 2008 - 05:33 AM

I had the same problem...rock put a hole in the left case. Is there any trick to removing the left case? I tried but it is hung up on something. It only separates about 1/4". Any ideas?

• drz4004me1

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:08 AM

I know this is an old thread but dropped my bike last night and off to the hardware store for jb weld and to the tt store for case guards.

• Huntnride7

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yea the jb weld works great I did it last night lol. And where do I get the guards?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

• Hot  73 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Drz 400 SM tires by Danny V.

• Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.