Back with a BRP (almost)

12 replies to this topic
  • Little Pig

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I will be buying a new 06 or 07 BRP within the next week or so. Having seen the general issues that BRPs have, how much cooperation can I expect from the dealer in preemptively fixing the important ones? I plan to have the dealer strip and re-grease the bike and change the fork oil to 2.5wt. The thinking on the former is to correct Honda's stinginess with grease, and the latter is to preempt whale-snot syndrome and detect potentially rusty fork innards. I will also try to get the dealer to do the uncork for me as part of the prep, since I have a less than desirable quantity of tools at the moment.

I would particularly appreciate input from other riders in the Dallas area as to which dealers are reputable, and therefore more likely to actually do all the work, and honestly report or fix the rust in the forks if present.

I understand that the dealer may charge some extra for doing work beyond standard prep, though I will expect them not to charge the full amount since they will be going into the bike as part of prep.

• justicedone

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:39 AM

A dealer help you do that...shit THATS FUNNY !!!

they will over-promise but I promise they will under-deliver.

good luck

• captb

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Find a mechanic you can trust to do the work, some of the bozos at dealers here that worked on my friends bikes can't even check the oil level without bungling something up. :excuseme:

• Agent2

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:56 AM

I think you would be better off doing it yourself. Other than a quality set of wrenches and a socket set you don't need much. Pep Boys and Harbor Freight sell atv lifts for around 60 bucks - a must need for any rider. Repacking bearings, both wheel and steering neck and greasing the linkage isn't that tough a job. Uncorking the pig is real easy. If you don't want to work on the forks, find an independent motorcycle repair shop that specializes in suspension.

• sandgrencivic2k1

Posted June 22, 2006 - 10:21 AM

There are reputable dealers out there. You just need to find one. The dealer I work with bends over backwards for his customers. If you asked them, they would re-grease the bike. They uncork the pigs before they leave the showroom, since they know they run like crap without it. They even uncork their crf's.

So you just need to find a good dealer if you don't want to do it yourself.

I have a 2000 xr650r and never had a problem with the grease, so it might be a hit or miss. I also got stiffer springs for the pig and my internals looked fine when they put the new springs in. I just put a lowering link on my bike so pulled the bottom linkage and there was plenty of grease.

My CR250 was a different story though. So you never know, but I am sure a good dealer would take care of you. When I had my cr250 rebuilt they used lots of grease so it made me happy.

• Little Pig

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:48 AM

I would consider doing the uncork procedure, but I am hesitant to pull out the forks, and apparently that is a known issue with the 650R which I am concerned about. I won't be doing all that much riding at first, so I don't want the internals to completely rust away in case I can't keep everything moving.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650r_Maine

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:40 AM

Whats a good grease to use for the steering, linkage etc? Will Belray water proof grease do it or is there better?

• Little Pig

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:46 AM

The guy who runs the Pig Pen website ( says that he doesn't like BelRay because he feels the tackifier breaks down too quickly. However, that is apparently a personal opinion. Supposedly any aluminum-complex grease works fine.

• Haggis

Posted June 23, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I pulled my forks apart after 5 years of use. Bough the bike new and they had never been apart. The oil was pretty snotty but not a spot of rust to be seen. Fitted HD Eibach springs and the front end is transformed.

• ProMed

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I pulled my forks apart after 5 years of use. Bough the bike new and they had never been apart. The oil was pretty snotty but not a spot of rust to be seen. Fitted HD Eibach springs and the front end is transformed.

Did you revalve the forks as well?

• Little Pig

Posted June 26, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Ok, so I go to the dealer today, and they tell me that the bearings for the swingarm and wheels are sealed on the XR650R, so they don't need to be greased, and that the steering head is packed at the factory. Also that the shock linkage is not a bearing per se, but just a ball joint.

Additionally, they say that to properly change the fork oil, they need to remove the fork seals, which destroys the seals. They say that it isn't possible to properly set the oil level any other way.

Any input?

• babbs

Posted June 27, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Obviously they don't need to know anything about bikes to sell them. They are just blowing you off...................And you want them to make your bike right?!?!?!?

• HC

Posted June 27, 2006 - 09:39 PM

for a look at the bearings go to bike bandit or
they are full of it. run away from that scum bag dealer.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.