yz400f autodecompressor cam mod

2 replies to this topic
  • jammybastard

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:58 PM

sorry if this has been covered recently, this is my first time on. i was under the impression that i could order a yz450f exhaust cam and install it right into my 99 yz400f to get the benefit of the automatic decompressor. the differences are that the tooth shape on the sprocket won't let the chain sit down as far - suspect a different chain style is in the 450. the sprocket looks like it's pressed on but can't be swapped because all the decomp stuff fits with it. the lobes are narrower (no big deal) the base circle is .010" bigger, that just means a different range of shims, there's a tiny bit more lift and less dwell (the lobe is narrower and pointier) i guess that makes it a torque cam, but the timing may be different, the dots line up in a different place. any help? someone out there knows how this has been done before. i'm worried about my friends not being able to do the starting drill as we're using my bike in the supermoto team race this saturday!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Read the sticky at the top of this forum. Everything that applies to the 426 also applies to the 400. One of the guys from work did the 450 cam mod on his 99 400, and it worked flawlessly.

• jbrooks26

Posted June 22, 2006 - 12:00 AM

The biggest thing you need to know is that there will be 14 pins in the cam chain between the top timing marks on the cams. All other timing procedures are the same as what is in your manual. The cam gear tooth pitch was a concern early on in the life of this mod but has since been proven to not be a problem. Hope this helps,

Josh

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.