Help, can't get the crud out of my carb

6 replies to this topic
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:57 PM

I picked up a mint 04 WR450 that sat for almost 2 years. I had to flush the tank, petcock and carb. Problem is that I can't get all the crud out of the fuel tube that is inserted in the carb that the fuel line attachs to. I have had to pull the carb apart 3 times because crap keeps getting into the seat and causes the gas to overflow. What can I push thru the tube to clean it out that is flexable enough yet strong enough to get out the crud?????

• farkawi

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Ultrasound or ultrasonic??? parts cleaners are all the rage for carb cleaning with the vintage crowd. Harbor Freight sells one or you can pop for a more expensive unit from an industrial tool supplier.

• Beejay

Posted June 22, 2006 - 01:43 AM

If all else fails try a little diluted phosphoric acid

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted June 22, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Soak it in hot water if you boil it you may damage the o rings that hold the fitting into the carb body if you heat it up the goo may soften and be easier to push through. when I was a kid my dad and I would do the final clean up on a carb by running it through the dishwasher when mom was not looking man did they come out clean.

• tarry

Posted June 22, 2006 - 12:20 PM

I picked up a mint 04 WR450 that sat for almost 2 years. I had to flush the tank, petcock and carb. Problem is that I can't get all the crud out of the fuel tube that is inserted in the carb that the fuel line attachs to. I have had to pull the carb apart 3 times because crap keeps getting into the seat and causes the gas to overflow. What can I push thru the tube to clean it out that is flexable enough yet strong enough to get out the crud?????

Try the good ole boy method, carb. cleaner and some strong wire(such as bailing wire) with some cloth strips wrapped around the end! Worked for me in the past. :excuseme:

• walshy

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:57 PM

If all else fails try a little diluted phosphoric acid

Does your bike go quick enough to outrun LIONS Beejay? I dont like LIONS! :excuseme:

• ncampion

Posted June 23, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Bead blast it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.