Rejetting for a bike that used to run race fuel

6 replies to this topic
  • scubaru

Posted June 21, 2006 - 05:32 PM

hi all, first of all thanks to those members who helped me narrow my problem down to a jetting issue. Had a mishap while testing the bike the other day and am now stuck in bed with a broken collar bone and bruised/torn rib cartilages : :excuseme: : . My issue with the bike is you can't rev the bike at any position of the throttle in neutral at a constant speed without it popping and there is a fair bit of decel popping when engine braking. Other than that it starts great and pulls extremely hard Thu the gears without any hesitation at all. Did a search on jet sizes but was starting to get confused with some of the opinions so will ask for some advice with the bikes specific details.First of all the bike is an x supermotard bike so it was probably jetted for race fuel and now I am/will be using 98 Ron unleaded. It has a GYTR titanium exhaust, head and cam mods and was dynoed by previous owner at 58 hp at wheels. Whilst I had the carby apart for cleaning I checked the jetting sizes - Starter jet -72
Pilot jet- 42
Main jet-180
Needle- 3rd slot from top
When changing the spark plug it looked to be running lean and the altitude the bike is being ridden at is approximately 300m/400m (900ft/1200ft) .I have tried adjusting the air/fuel screw out to about 4 turns out with only very minor success. Any ideas on jetting sizes would be appreciated or should I just ignore the popping altogether as it pulls extremely hard as it is. cheers and thanks

• flintlock28

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:53 PM

A "little" popping is fine, a relatively constant popping when decelerating, is not..and shows a lean condition. I wish I could help you further, but with the bike being set-up for SuperMotard, I would be guessing as far as jetting goes.

I would definately post this in the "Jetting" section, and ask for TT member "burned" to help you.

• scubaru

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks flintlock28, I will copy and paste it in the Jetting forum. Was just there reading some old posts actually. Seems the pilot jet may be a tad small, but will post it there and hopefully burned might see it and respond. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted June 22, 2006 - 05:16 AM

You need to jet the bike back to the stock settings - see you manual
then tweek as needed - :excuseme:

• Fastest1

Posted June 22, 2006 - 07:21 AM

I would have guessed the main to be around a 170 for sea level and 168 up to about 3000'. Race gas will definitely need a bigger main due to being oxygenated. Otherwise the starter and pilot sound about right as does the needle setting.

• Sapling Thrasher

Posted June 23, 2006 - 01:18 PM

I was always told to lean your motor for race fuel. ohhh so many opinions!!! I run much leaner jets on my snowmobile than I would if I ran pump gas but that is a 15:1 two stroke running full 114 race fuel.

• scubaru

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:10 PM

thanks for the advice, love this forum. Forgot to mention that the carby has been machined a couple of mm bigger. Burned seems to think that the main jet seems about right so I will just play with the pilot (a 45 or 48) and try lifting the needle up 1 notch. cheers

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.