I posted this in the YZ section, but posting here too

3 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted June 21, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I recently purchased a YZ426 for my son for a great price. We mostly ride desert/single track. I know the 426 is a track bike, but for the price paid, it was too good to pass up. Here are a few questions:

1. He is only 130 lbs so needless to say he has a hard time putting enough weight behind the kick start and the starting routine seems to be difficult for him. What cam is needed for the auto decompression to work? I have a spare stock cam from a 04 WR450....will this work?

2. The bike seems to be very difficult to start after warming up. Last week, the only way to get it started after a 1hr ride was to bump start it. Any ideas as to the cause of this?

3. The bike seems to overheat easily when doing slow technical offroading.....does anyone make a catch bottle for the antifreeze like on the WR? Will a catch bottle for the WR426 fit it? Did thos even have one?

4. Does anyone have any other mods they recommend for making the YZ426 a more offroad oriented machine?

Thanks in advance.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 21, 2006 - 02:21 PM

[quote name='Punisher660']I recently purchased a YZ426 for my son for a great price. We mostly ride desert/single track. I know the 426 is a track bike, but for the price paid, it was too good to pass up. Here are a few questions:

1. He is only 130 lbs so needless to say he has a hard time putting enough weight behind the kick start and the starting routine seems to be difficult for him. What cam is needed for the auto decompression to work? I have a spare stock cam from a 04 WR450....will this work?[/quote]
It should, but then it'll be WR timed

[quote name=']2. The bike seems to be very difficult to start after warming up. Last week' date=' the only way to get it started after a 1hr ride was to bump start it. Any ideas as to the cause of this?[/quote']
Tight valves

[quote=]3. The bike seems to overheat easily when doing slow technical offroading.....does anyone make a catch bottle for the antifreeze like on the WR? Will a catch bottle for the WR426 fit it? Did thos even have one?[/quote]
Don't know probably not since the WRs have a slightly different subframe. I've read where people switch to this coolant called "engine ice" and they don't overheat anymore

[quote=]4. Does anyone have any other mods they recommend for making the YZ426 a more offroad oriented machine?[/quote]
Flywheel weight, skid plate, bark busters, radiator guards, quiet pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted June 21, 2006 - 02:38 PM

1. Feed him more. You should do more research on the cam swap start by contacting Hot Cams I belive the timing chain and sprokets are differnt between the 426 and the 450 ( your first problem, refer to 1.) 2 I found that after adding the power now (wing) the bike started easier with less hot start. Getting the jetting dialed perfectly and carefull adjust of the fuel screw ( I used a exhaust gas analyzer) is the best way to achieve the one kick start. 2. the radiators are 25% smaller on the YZ than the WR fresh fluid and new radiator cap are a good start. Jetting will help here too. Enduro Engineering or Ride Engineering makes a small catch can for KTMs yes the WR 426 catch can will fit and work great but you may need a WR side panel for clearance. 4. Put a good kick stand on the bike so the kid can climb on the pegs and give it a big kick ( I am 6' and 210 and I still have to do this alot). These things should make life alot better without breaking the bank. Good luck and let us know what happens. Tell the kid to get tough (and smart) or stay home with the ladies.

• Punisher660

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Great ideas, thanks guys :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.