how to tell if rear shock is blown

9 replies to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted June 21, 2006 - 11:50 AM

hey guys I was riding my bike and just noticed that the rear end was real stiff. then i washed the bike and cleaned around the rear linkage and all of the sudden the thing is real boucy like a pogo stick. also the rebound adjustment seems to have no effect on the rate. so is it blown or not, can i rebuild it cheap or is it a costly repair. thanks for the help.

• matt116

Posted June 21, 2006 - 03:22 PM

To me a shock is "blown" when you have oil running down the shaft.
Yes you can rebuild the shock yourself, it's pretty easy but I'm not sure on the cost $50 maybe. While you got it tore down you should replace the teflon band and o-ring that goes around the piston.
What bike is this off of?

• jwcrf05

Posted June 21, 2006 - 05:31 PM

its a 05 yz450, there is no oil leaking at all. I just can't understand why its not working. its like there is no resistance to the seat coming back up so its like you are riding the spring.

• bodia21

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:52 AM

I have a yz426 rear shock I will sell you for 25 bucks.

• Matty05

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:59 AM

its a 05 yz450, there is no oil leaking at all. I just can't understand why its not working. its like there is no resistance to the seat coming back up so its like you are riding the spring.

Sounds like no gas in it to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • getdrunk

Posted June 22, 2006 - 03:13 PM

when a shock is blown the oil runs down the shaft and run out of oil. wonce its out of oil it will have no compression or rebound adjustment. my tcs rear blew and costed $100 to fix. if teh shock is stiff its valved to hard or has a valve proublum.

• getdrunk

Posted June 22, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Sounds like no gas in it to me.

if theirs no gas teh oil will leak

• jwcrf05

Posted June 22, 2006 - 04:41 PM

well i took it off and can move it by hand so i guess something is wrong, how can i get gas added to it and where is the best place to get that done.

• matt116

Posted June 22, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Try your local shop should be around 10-15 bucks

• NYMXer

Posted June 23, 2006 - 04:42 AM

Try recharging it w/ nitrogen before you send it out. Your local dealer should be able to do this simple service for you.
BTW, you can lose nitrogen and not leak oil if you didn't ride on it w/o gas for very long.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.