1qt. oil in 06 450

25 replies to this topic
  • Ranger18

Posted June 21, 2006 - 11:22 AM

Thats crazy, I was looking in my book to see what oil to get for my bike and it only takes 1.06qt of oil during a filter/oil change. If I'm wrong let me know! By the way this is my after break in oil change.
Also I ran synthetic in my honda, but the yamaha doesn't mention it, does anybody run synthetic in their new bikes? :excuseme:

• Reyndogg

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:04 PM

Yes, the book is correct. My next oil change with be my 12th oil change, and its the same still as it was the first time :excuseme:

I run synthetic always.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Be sure to open the dip stick before draining the oil tank (the plug on the left) or it won't drain right.

Understand that your new YZF is a dry sump, even though the oil supply is stored within the crankcase assembly.

I run synthetic oils exclusively. Even during break-in (I changed the oil mine had in it as soon as I got it home).

• WFOracer

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:30 PM

Is it crucial to drain the plug on the foot brake lever side of the case? :bonk: I forgot to do that one and still added 1 ltr of oil.....is it going to be too much oil?

Found the first downfall of the devol skid plate.....gotta take that damn thing off to drain the oil :excuseme: Oh well, it's a whole 3 bolts, I think I'll live!

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:55 PM

If you don't run the engine up prior to changing the oil, as th emaual specifies, it can be extremely important. The plug on the front left is for the oil reservoir, or "tank". The plug on the right rear is for the crankcase. As any dry sump sits, oil migrates from the tank to the crankcases due to the influences of gravity. If you let it sit long enough, at least half of the oil (or all of it in the earlier models) will be in the crankcases. If you don't drain it, you'll be overfilled by that amount. Even when you do run the engine first, there is usually 100-200cc remaining in the cases.

• WFOracer

Posted June 21, 2006 - 01:00 PM

I ran the engine (drove around the neighborhood in town :excuseme: ) and drained the resevior with the bike leaning on the resevior side (does that help). Looks like I'll need to spew some oil out regardless.

Another question, the manual mentions that there is another drain bolt next to the shifter to be used when the bike is over filled. Does the engine need to be warm to do this?

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2006 - 03:12 PM

Yes, I believe so. I'll re-read that part and if I find out differently, I'll post it. But the only way that you can consistently predict the oil level in the cases is to run the engine and scavenge them. Once the tank is filled to the level of the top end of the return tube, or farther, it will no longer scavenge the sump completely. Given 3-4 minutes for the tank to lower itself to that level, pull the small drain plug you mentioned and let it run down 'til it stops running out (or slows to a realistic amount).

Next time you have your skid plate off, take a hole saw to it.

• xcape

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Is it crucial to drain the plug on the foot brake lever side of the case? :bonk: I forgot to do that one and still added 1 ltr of oil.....is it going to be too much oil?

Found the first downfall of the devol skid plate.....gotta take that damn thing off to drain the oil :excuseme: Oh well, it's a whole 3 bolts, I think I'll live!

I change my oil all the time with the devol skid on. It is not in the way of the drain plugs.

• WFOracer

Posted June 22, 2006 - 04:39 AM

I change my oil all the time with the devol skid on. It is not in the way of the drain plugs.

Are you sure that you are not talkig about the glide plate? The skid plate wraps around and covers both sides.

• Ranger18

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM

WFO, my Devol has a hole in it already for the oil drain bolt. Mybe they redesigned it to be more user friendly. Or are you saying that you take it off because the oil gets all over the top of the skid plate?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcape

Posted June 22, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Are you sure that you are not talkig about the glide plate? The skid plate wraps around and covers both sides.

Yes the skid plate? why would you have to take it off? You can access both drain plugs I use a little varsol to rinse off the oil that acumulates on the sde of the skid.

• WFOracer

Posted June 22, 2006 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, I can take the drain bolt out, but oil would just fill top of the skid plate.

Do you have a picture of yours? I will take a pic, but not sure how to post them here. I don't have a website or anything, you?

• xcape

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:01 AM

which bolt? I put mine on the side stand and lean it to the left.

pic

• WFOracer

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:21 AM

I will have to take a closer look at mine, I think I may have jumped to the conclusion that oil would accumulated in the skid plate and make a mess. I will take another look at her and take some pictures if i have any questions.

thanks

• Reyndogg

Posted June 22, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, I can take the drain bolt out, but oil would just fill top of the skid plate.

Do you have a picture of yours? I will take a pic, but not sure how to post them here. I don't have a website or anything, you?

get a free account at photobucket.com :excuseme:

• WFOracer

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:08 AM

• barch88

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:57 AM

Unlimited Bandwith:
www.imageshack.us
www.tinypic.com
www.uploader.ws
www.putfile.com

Limited Bandwith:
www.jayloo.com
www.photobucket.com

• kid on a 426

Posted June 23, 2006 - 07:54 PM

Wow 1qt. of oil isn't hardly anything. My old xr80 took 1qt. My dad was amazed that my 426 can be so reliable on only 1.7qt.

Posted June 24, 2006 - 05:40 AM

Thats crazy, I was looking in my book to see what oil to get for my bike and it only takes 1.06qt of oil during a filter/oil change. If I'm wrong let me know! By the way this is my after break in oil change.
Also I ran synthetic in my honda, but the yamaha doesn't mention it, does anybody run synthetic in their new bikes? :excuseme:

after initial break-in on my 06, i drained it, and drained it again, a few times. i came up with about 1.06 qts. the manual says 1.2 qts. i filled it up and it came out right on the money. does thye dealer or factory put a little less in for break-in?

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2006 - 10:07 PM

Wow 1qt. of oil isn't hardly anything.

Old schoolers like me who used to own big singles that carried 2.5-3.0 qts. have trouble with that concept, too. But consider this: a CRF450 carries an engine oil supply of 700cc. :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.