WR450 on the road

11 replies to this topic
  • WR Bob

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:54 AM

...just made my 06 450 road legal here in Ontario ('cause I could) and am wondering if any one has experienced any problems with running at 50-60 mph for sustained periods of time, like 15 to 20 minutes steady. :bonk:
I do 99% of my riding off road, but really enjoy roading with it too. :excuseme:
I'm running Michelin AC 10's (considering a switch to trials tires if this road thing becomes an obsession), stock gearing (am going up 1 tooth on front jasap) and the oil level is topped up.

Looking forward to hearing from anybody.

• Matty05

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:07 AM

No problems with that. You might get "engine surge" but that is jetting problem.

You will find 15/50 gearing good for the road, but you may find it be a bit too high for your bike off road.

I have settled on 14/48 for what I do, it is 1/2 way between 14/50 and 15/50. I love the high speed stuff and the engine hums nicely with a tooth or two less on the rear.

• TwoBobRob

Posted June 21, 2006 - 11:09 AM

I've done a couple of thousand miles or so on my 03 in supermoto trim on the road with no problems whatsoever. The only thing I'm really hot on is oil changes - I'm sure to change it at 300 miles or less (two decent sm rideouts).

Its definately the hardest miles my bike does ; offroad it gets a much easier time :excuseme:

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:10 PM

I commute in supermoto form (17" wheels, 15/42 gearing) a couple times per week. 32 miles each way, mostly 55 to 75 mph. I like it. This bike is far more agile than my previous 500 pound 750 sport bike.

For stock wheels, the 15 tooth might be nice. You can tell if you are running in the right rpm range. The engine will be buzzy if you are cruising at too high of rpm. There is a sweet spot at about 5500 rpm.

The bike surges at low rpm steady speed, perhaps due to the Air Cut Valve (ACV) that kicks in and out to richen during deceleration. It seems to get confused at steady speed under low loading, a condition that doesn't happen for offroad operation with constantly changing engine loading. I blocked my ACV open (so that it doesn't richen during deceleration) and the surging is essentially gone. I don't get any significant popping. Maybe it was necessary with the too-lean stock jetting.

• WR Bob

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:15 AM

thanks for the info. I was wondering what was causing the surge -thought it might be clutch related but am relieved to know that it is jetting related.
I neglected to mention that I have perfromed 'the mods' - installed the Yamaha AIS removal kit, grey wire, etc (so far all stock-no aftermarket anything engine-wise)- currently running a 168 main - trying a 170 this week.
Riding this thing on the road is a hoot!

• WR Bob

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:17 AM

Thanks. I stick to oil changes religously. Oil is cheap compared to engine parts!
What do you run for tires?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 22, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Thanks. I stick to oil changes religously. Oil is cheap compared to engine parts!
What do you run for tires?

I love the Dunlop 952's, others swear by the Maxxis SI front / IT rear combo.
Here is a review between the two:
http://www.thumperta...13&parentpage=3

• WR Bob

Posted June 22, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info Matty. Just picked up a Mitas trials tire to try - wanted to try a trials pattern on the back anyway, so here goes.
Was going to try a Michelin (used to ride trials-there is no better trials tire), but with such a soft compound didn;t expect it to last too long. Just found out about Mitas tires the other day...looks good and is less $$. The Mitas has a harder compound so it should wear well. Might even try it on the big Gasser!

• Ibis

Posted June 22, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Be careful with a trials tire at speed on a hard surface - the tall side wall with low pressure can give the tire a squirrelly feel.

Here is a good discussion on trials tires.

• WR Bob

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Ibis,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm running max pressure on sidewall - 32 or 33 lbs-with a Moose Heavy Duty tube (almost a tire in itself!)
So far it seems firm, but I have already ripped off some of the lugs from the center row. That's while riding on asphalt mind you. The grip is incredible.

• Lit_Dueler

Posted June 23, 2006 - 09:33 AM

I want to purchase a wr450. I presently own DRZ 400 and the motor went out on me because of lack of oil changes. I only found out last year I should be changing oil every 10 - 15 hours. Which Istarted doing since then, But Too LATE!!!
ANyway, Is there anything I should know about the WR before I purchase one

LIt_dueler

• 06WR450FSM

Posted June 23, 2006 - 10:04 AM

thanks for the info. I was wondering what was causing the surge -thought it might be clutch related but am relieved to know that it is jetting related.
I neglected to mention that I have perfromed 'the mods' - installed the Yamaha AIS removal kit, grey wire, etc (so far all stock-no aftermarket anything engine-wise)- currently running a 168 main - trying a 170 this week.
Riding this thing on the road is a hoot!

In addition to the ACV, the downstream air flow from the slide may be poor at small throttle openings. I intend to do a PowerNow type mod to see how much it helps. I don't recall seeing any posts on how much a PowerNow helps on the street.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.