From Red to Blue

11 replies to this topic
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted June 21, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I sold my XR650R to help with the purchase of a house and when I was going to replace it I couldn't believe what dealers were wanting for them. I ended up getting a great deal on a brand new 2006 WR450. I've been doing my homework for a long time and know what's required to make these things run. My PMB end cap is on order along with a jetting kit. The dealer stocked the AIS removal kit and I'll do that along with the gray wire and airbox. I'm not even going to run it until these things are done. Although it's a stock pic I just had to share:

http://i21.photobuck...x4/5d1d8bd9.jpg

http://i21.photobuck...x4/e57026e9.jpg

• Matty05

Posted June 21, 2006 - 05:44 AM

So clean and shiny! It has been some time since mine looked like that!!!

Enjoy it anyway mate!

• bandit99

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:18 AM

It will never look like that again.

• GCannon

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:35 AM

How do you sleep at night with that in the garage? You may miss that XR650 but the WR will soon become a trusted friend.

• standup rider

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Don't forget about the throttle stop and if you ride in soft to intermediate and have the stock Dunlop 739's then you will want to get rid of them. The Mazzis IT rear and SI front made a big difference for me.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted June 21, 2006 - 10:32 AM

The throttle stop was included in the AIS removal kit in addition to the recommended jets. I have to wait about 1-2 weeks for my PMB end cap to arrive. I guess I'll just remove the restrictive baffle to make things liveable enough to ride it this Friday after the other mods are done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yaugh1

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:17 PM

I don't think i could wait to ride mine!!! Take out the baffle, cut down the throttle stop screw and rip that sh!t :excuseme:

• Matty05

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Nah, wait!

In the mean time, strip that sucker down and grease all the bearings. Guarenteed to be dry. I swear they only put enough in to stop them rusting and that's it!

• dogbone

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Nah, wait!

In the mean time, strip that sucker down and grease all the bearings. Guarenteed to be dry. I swear they only put enough in to stop them rusting and that's it!

I don't even think about even starting my new bikes untill they have been stripped and greased! :bonk:
It saves lots of :busted: and :excuseme: later on.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 22, 2006 - 02:07 AM

I sold my XR650R to help with the purchase of a house and when I was going to replace it I couldn't believe what dealers were wanting for them. I ended up getting a great deal on a brand new 2006 WR450. I've been doing my homework for a long time and know what's required to make these things run. My PMB end cap is on order along with a jetting kit. The dealer stocked the AIS removal kit and I'll do that along with the gray wire and airbox. I'm not even going to run it until these things are done. Although it's a stock pic I just had to share:

http://i21.photobuck...x4/5d1d8bd9.jpg

http://i21.photobuck...x4/e57026e9.jpg

nice ride! you can't go wrong with a Yamaha. The best built dirtbikes on Earth. PERIOD!

• OneToGo

Posted June 22, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Have fun - good choice of bike you wont regret!
Welcome to the WR forum.
Lots of good info here.
If you ve done your homework, like most, you will know what is required. The modding is good fun though and worth the wait.
I only rode mine home from the dealer (20km) then did ALL the mods in one go. Well worth it. Only greased the axles, have not even looked at the swingarm and linkage yet, :excuseme: me!

• dirt fool

Posted June 22, 2006 - 10:26 AM

right about grease,i always pull the off take the seals out of the wheel bearings.carefully and grease them up good. and have fun :bonk: :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.