Wide Ratio or Slim Ratio?

6 replies to this topic
  • Gatorbiker

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:37 PM

I have seen all the thread about putting a WR Transmission (Wide Ratio) into a YZ. What are the major advantages and drawbacks of having Wide Ratio transmission?

Can't you achieve the same goal by changing the sprockets? (adding a tooth in front or removing a few in the back?)

Please explain that to me :excuseme: `cause I am thinking about trading my WR 450 for a YZF 450 and it is the only difference I am not able to judge

• lipskid

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:14 PM

Can't you achieve the same goal by changing the sprockets?

No. The gear ratios in the trans are closer together.

The YZ has a much taller first gear, and 5th on the YZ is closer to 4th on the WR. You never feel "between gears" on the YZ.

I mostly ride desert, and love the closer ratio YZ. First is to tall for much technical stuff, but is much more usable everywhere else.

If you can gear the YZ for your terrain, and like to ride hard, it's no contest. You'll love it.

• yzf450jack

Posted June 20, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Hello i believe I'm one of the first to put the wr 5 speed in a 03 yz450 all i do is extreme trail riding and is the best gearing for this! Changing sprocket sizes just won't do it! The gear splits are all Fu?*D up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2006 - 09:14 PM

I have seen all the thread about putting a WR Transmission (Wide Ratio) into a YZ. What are the major advantages and drawbacks of having Wide Ratio transmission?

Can't you achieve the same goal by changing the sprockets? (adding a tooth in front or removing a few in the back?)

I run my '03 with a 15/49, which is basically two teeth higher geared than stock (=14/46), and I run it that way pretty much any place. That does give me a little wider ratio spacing by virtue of th ehigher overall gears, and it does give me a theoretical 93 mph top speed at 11,500 (it's actually been clocked at 89), BUT....it also leaves me with a 17.75:1 overall ratio in first.

By comparison, my '06 with stock gearing has a top gear the goes to a theoretical 97 mph (4% higher), but has an 18.8:1 overall in low (6% lower). Which would make a better trail bike, do you think? A WR trans just carries that even farther with a lower low, and a higher high.

Comparing them on a numerical basis with the 4 speed, the WR trans has a significantly lower 1st, roughly similar gears 2nd through 4th, and then a good sized jump to 5th. You can get a lower low or a higher high by re-gearing, but not both.

• BergArabia

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:40 AM

Gray, it sounds like you are endorsing the WR tranny for trail. But maybe not really since you get by with sprocket changing.

I have a 2005 YZ450 and ride it in the desert. Not flat desert but dunes. I love it but then I don't have much to compare it with. I don't find the first gear too tall at all for what I do with it but then I have left the sprockets stock so far. I have found that it seems to run out of legs at top speed. Kind of spinning the wheels but won't go faster. So yeah something wider would be better for when the desert opens up.. But I think the changing sprockets thing would have to be way more practical for me than a WR tranny. That sounds like a lot of trouble to go to..

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2006 - 10:24 AM

That sounds like a lot of trouble to go to..

Well, it's $700 worth, yes. But it does make a great trail and desert conversion.

• Gatorbiker

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I run my '03 with a 15/49, which is basically two teeth higher geared than stock (=14/46), and I run it that way pretty much any place. .

Thanks Gray for such good info :busted:

However I am not familiar with your calculations :bonk:

15 in front is taller than 14
49 in the back is shorter than 46

so 15/49 should NOT be 2 teeth higher than stock ... how does one calculate that?? :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.