Oil leak?

2 replies to this topic
  • Tsk350

Posted June 20, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hey guys this is on a WR but since we have the same motor maybe you can help.

Oil leak?

Ok I have a quick question for ya guys. Heres what happened, my sprocket retaining ring failed to hold the nut in place which resulted in the nut backing off and oil leaking on to the chain and flinging all over the place. My question is, Is this a normal result in the nut loosining up or do I have bigger problems? And can i just tighten up the nut to stop the leak?

This is on my 2003 WR450. Thanks guys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:14 PM

If the nut were the only thing that moved, it shouldn't have leaked. But, if the sprocket moved out on the shaft, and allowed the seal collar behind it to do the same, then it could have.

There's a collar behind the front sprocket that the seal rides on. There is an O-ring between that collar and the countershaft that prevents oil from running between the shaft and collar. If the collar moved out far enough, it could have allowed oil past this ring, and if that's all it was, then tightening things down will likely fix things. But if that ring became damaged (or was bad or missing in the first place), or the countershaft seal itself got hurt, then replacement is in order. It can be done from the outside with the engine in place, but try torquing it back up first.

• Tsk350

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I knew there was someone in here with the answer I was looking for. The collar did move out about an 1/8th of an inch I pushed it back in. I will just put everything back together and give it a shot. I thank you!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.