Oil leak?

4 replies to this topic
  • Tsk350

Posted June 20, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Ok I have a quick question for ya guys. Heres what happened, my sprocket retaining ring failed to hold the nut in place which resulted in the nut backing off and oil leaking on to the chain and flinging all over the place. My question is, Is this a normal result in the nut loosining up or do I have bigger problems? And can i just tighten up the nut to stop the leak?

This is on my 2003 WR450. Thanks guys! :excuseme:

• odonnks

Posted June 20, 2006 - 05:22 PM

I think you have another problem. Someone may correct me but
I don't think the seal should leak at all, with or without a sprocket.

When it was loose, did it 'waller' around and ding the seal up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tsk350

Posted June 20, 2006 - 05:48 PM

No it all looks good. There is a metal sleave on the counter shaft that I was able to push back in, it slid about 1/8th inch. Would this be the seal problem?

• Matty05

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:03 PM

I had it happen to me once before.

Do the nut up tight and leaking should stop. There is a seal on the other side that when there is no pressure on it will leak.

It looks like heaps of oil, but it isnt. Check your oil and it should still be good.

The seals are very easy replaced, but do the nut up first and see. All will be OK.

• Tsk350

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:24 PM

Ya it was definitly reason for concern. I would have swarn that there wasnt a drop of oil left in the case but I drained it today and like you said it was still full. So O will crank the nut and rebend the washer and give her a go! With a fresh oil change of course! I baby my baby now more than I should!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.