Steering dampeners?

18 replies to this topic
  • marcmo0

Posted June 20, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Who's riding what and how do they like it? I have heard nothing but good things about Scott's, but any thoughts on other brands. Also, I am wondering on a '02 426f, does the dampener get in the way of the oil dipstick? How do you work around that?

• oldblue

Posted June 20, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Check out http://www.motosportz.com. It's a company owned by a fellow TT member "Ride". He knows all about any dampener out there and should be able to give you some insight.

OB

• mtscott

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:26 PM

What do these things do anyways?

• Goosedog

Posted June 21, 2006 - 03:50 AM

I run the Scotts on my '02 and it is a little tricky to get the oilstick out but not so bad I would concider using anything else.

• RAGDOLL MX

Posted June 21, 2006 - 04:00 AM

iam going with the RTT motorsports dampner, its a pretty neat set up.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 21, 2006 - 04:44 AM

iam going with the RTT motorsports dampner, its a pretty neat set up.

Here it is -

http://www.rttmotors....com/review.htm

I want a copy of RC and Wyndhams steering stabilizer - it is trick and tiny :excuseme:

• RAGDOLL MX

Posted June 21, 2006 - 04:48 AM

that thing is the mutts nutz

• Reyndogg

Posted June 21, 2006 - 05:29 AM

dampener?

why would you want your steering wet? :bonk:

j.k :excuseme:

• probracing1

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:52 AM

FROM A PREVIOUS DAMPER POST:

I have both the Scotts and the RTT (2 dif. YZ's) The premise behind the RTT (adjust on the fly) is excellent. The functionality of the RTT is another question...RTT has had some difficulties with the 'main seal'. However, RTT does believe they have finally rectified the problem.
Bleeeding the RTT is rather simple: disconnect one of the hyd. hoses and purge the old oil with the use of a pippette type syringe---this is a very quick and easy process. The RTT, as you can imagine, hold a very small amount of fluid.

The Scott's has the proven name in the industry and the pro riders' backing. It also offers a 'high-speed' dampening ability that the others on the market do not. Similar to what a rear shock with high speed damping does. It does not however have the remote 'adjust on the fly' ability the RTT has. At this point to adjust the Scott's while riding you must remove your hand off the bars and find the adj. knob located on the stabilizer. Having used the RTT for 4 years I have found this to be difficult so far....although I have not yet purchased the larger adjuster knob the reportedly makes this somewhat easier.
From what I have heard, maintenence on the Scott's is not required as often but, is a little more involved than say the RTT.

I hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:00 AM

What do these things do anyways?

They slow the bars down when they want to turn quickly if the front wheel deflects off of something, or for when you get headshake. They are a shock absorber for your bars. Basically, they save your arms, and are especially useful when you get tired.

I'm using a WER and it does the job for me, but I've never used any other brand. When the bike is on a stand, it feels like turning to the right is a bit stiffer than when you turn to the left, and someone else has said the same thing of theirs. I bought it coz my KTM desperately needed a damper and they're cheaper than the other brands. I read somewhere that the new ones are better. I don't mind not having an "on the fly" adjuster, I've used the stiffest setting since I've had it(about two years). There are some Pros that use WER, so if it's good enough for them...

• Blaster21996

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Check out http://www.motosportz.com. It's a company owned by a fellow TT member "Ride". He knows all about any dampener out there and should be able to give you some insight.

OB

You kmow that unit that motosportz is selling, is a rebodied SCOTTS dampner! :excuseme:

• Blaster21996

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Here it is -

http://www.rttmotors....com/review.htm

I want a copy of RC and Wyndhams steering stabilizer - it is trick and tiny :excuseme:

Adjust on the fly (when you are riding) is simply not needed! I have been riding with a SCOTTS for 2 years, and only adjust it when I know I will be riding in an area were there is more rocks! :bonk:

• marcmo0

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Which do you like better since you are using both?

• probracing1

Posted June 21, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I do have both the RTT and a Scotts. I would go with the Scotts, hands down. The RTT has had so many problems...not just mine, but friends as well. The Scotts is uber-low maintenence and is the only stabilizer to offer high speed damping. This allows you to run the stabilizer at a lower setting than you might with any other brand. Also, Scotts is made by Ohlins, and you cant get a much better name in the industry than Ohlins.
When I was a little greener on this subject the idea of the RTT "adjust on the fly" sounded really good. After experiencing both systems I now believe the adjust on the fly is not critical at all.

Go with the Scotts.

• marcmo0

Posted June 21, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Sounds like Scott's is the way to go. How about the mount. I have standard bars and stock triple clamp. Are you guys running with the aftermarket triple/oversize bars, low mount, etc. I am trying to get one on the bike without having to spend a ton of money...asides from the cost of the damper. Does the low mount get in the way for anyone who is using it, and I am still not sold on the dipstick not being hard to get out. THoughts on this anyone??

• gjones

Posted June 21, 2006 - 01:13 PM

I run a Scott's and love it. The thing I like about the Scotts is the High speed damping circuit. It allows you to have the unit adjusted so that you do not notice the damping in the slow speed tight woods/trails but when it is needed in rocks and high speed straights it does the job. On all of the other dampers made it is either on or off, and when its on in the tight stuff = armpump and loss of energy.
I have a friend that has the RTT on a practice bike and would take the Scott's over it. His comments are "it's only as good as the rider" meaning that by the time you realize that you may need it its too late!
Just my 2 cents!

• RAGDOLL MX

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:18 PM

dampener?

why would you want your steering wet? :bonk:

j.k :excuseme:

HOOAH.............airborne!

• Ga426owner

Posted June 22, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Adjust on the fly (when you are riding) is simply not needed! I have been riding with a SCOTTS for 2 years, and only adjust it when I know I will be riding in an area were there is more rocks! :excuseme:

I own a Scotts to - waiting to put it on a KTM....woods bike
GPR makes one too but to me all of these are too big and bulky for MX. That is why I want RC's/ Ivan's or kevin W's or other Pro MXers that use them - a lot do you would be surprised.....just a copy - it sits behind the front number plate - it's very small, works very well and very sano for MX

• davegod

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:02 PM

i have the scott's dampner kit on my 05 wr450.when i first installed it i wasn't really aware of it when riding until the third ride.while going downhill and jumping waterbers the steering neck clamp came loose and i new something was wrong immediately.i retightened the the clamp and that's when it became obvious to me what it does.if you purchase the kit that includes the triple clamp expect to pay 550-600 but the good news is scott's will include a pair of pro taper bars in your choice of bend.insallation is a breeze and quality is top notch.i like mine so much that i purchased the mount kit for my 90cr500.now i can switch the dampner from 1 bike to the other in 5 minutes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.