Power of R over the L

138 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted March 24, 2011 - 03:29 PM

DRZ 400E with bolt on extra's gives 40rwhp and just uncorked is equal to the XR650L. Not the same torque but, rev's higher. Sorry but, the truth is the DRZ 400S converted to be a DRZ "E" is a better bike for a duel sport bike. Once you change the XR650L to be the bike it should have been it does way better on the street.

• valvesrule

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Truth is a stock L is a turd. I'm shocked anyone still owns a stock L after the last payment is made. I'd love to have an R but where I ride radiators are a liability. I'd be insanely happy with an aircooled engine R. Different tools for different jobs.

• Bibleman

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:45 PM

All I ever see on these kinds of threads is a lot of conjecture. I might have missed it, but did anyone ever do some dyno pulls with both bikes, stock being the baseline, then uncorked, then this mod and that mod? I know it's no secret the R is more powerful, but does anyone really know the actual difference? Not that it really matters since they are completely different bikes. Might as well compare the L to a Superglide and the R to a Busa for that matter, I mean, it seems to me that there is no rhym or reason for the comparison. Interesting reading though:lol:

• BWB63

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I have! Most of those number are on this thread. I know it is a long thread but, I have real dyno time with the XR6, XR650L and the XR650R, XR650L modified and XR680R, XR628R and some other combination. No conjecture but, real bikes and real district # 38, Score and Baja races. XR400R dyno and DRZ400E dyno. With hours and hour all of the above. Stock the "L" is just a very heavy XR400, "E" button and with more torque, it has been de-tuned to meet smog requirements and to use low grade fuel to the point of being stupid! Cam is worthless and the compression is pathetic! It is a good engine if you want an airhead and have the money to bring it back to life. I am not going to beat around the bush and say it is something it is not. It is a middle age mans bike trying to be all things and does nothing well, even if you spend the money to make it the way it was designed to be. You can spend less and have more with a DRZ and I am a Honda guy all the way. Just because you buy something does not make it the best there is or good at anything because you make it work. No conjecture but, real dyno facts with lots of hours on these bikes and many more. :thumbsup:

Read the thread and get back to us :bonk:

• Bibleman

Posted March 25, 2011 - 04:57 AM

Funny you call it a middle age mans bike BW -I'm 50. I guess that makes it a borderline old man's bike:ride:. Sorry I missed your figures. I scanned the thread but I must have missed your dyno results. I'll look more closely because I'm curious about what a stock XRL actually puts out. I've seen figures as low as 28 hp and as high as 38. I've had close to 50 bikes in my day and I must say I don't think the "L" is a slug by any means.:thumbsup::bonk:

• Kenzo

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:25 AM

It is a middle age mans bike trying to be all things and does nothing well, even if you spend the money to make it the way it was designed to be.

that's exactly why i sold mine... :ride:

...midlife crisis :thumbsup:

:bonk:

• Gassyphil

Posted March 25, 2011 - 05:57 AM

The "L" is a PIG at everything! :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:49 AM

The "L" is a PIG at everything! :ride:

NO, it's a VERY light, very good STREETBIKE! :bonk:
(with suspension work) :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 25, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Don't make me link to my thread, I'm warning y'all, don't make me do it.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted March 25, 2011 - 12:44 PM

The "L" is a PIG at everything! :thumbsup:

So, is the "R" You can spend the time and money to make them very fun bikes and back in the day they could be made competitive but, now you can buy bikes that are so much better and as always money makes a huge difference. I still think the "R" fixed right is more reliable and will out last anything else out there but, that does not make up for it's weight. Just for an example would be when the CR450R's started to take the Baja crown away from the XR650R. The CR450R's were all but, thrown away after a race. There was little in the engine that did not need to be replaced or redone. Things keep getting better and batter leaving all the BRP's to be a middle aged weekend worrier bike :bonk: Hey, I still have mine and I hope to build it into the ultimate trail bike for an old retired guy! 680cc bike for fires roads when I am 60 years old with a Cadillac suspension has it's place :ride:

• Ferdinand

Posted March 25, 2011 - 12:46 PM

It's been almost a year since the last post might as well.:thumbsup::bonk:

• Rascal560

Posted March 25, 2011 - 01:03 PM

The 2011 XR650R sucks powerwise, the 650L blows it away... :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 25, 2011 - 01:31 PM

The 2011 XR650R sucks powerwise, the 650L blows it away... :thumbsup:

Careful, there, are we sure there's a 2011 XR650L?

Dave

• Rascal560

Posted March 25, 2011 - 04:53 PM

Careful, there, are we sure there's a 2011 XR650L?

Dave

I think they're scheduled to produce the L's until 2086. :thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hey, I still have mine and I hope to build it into the ultimate trail bike for an old retired guy! 680cc bike for fires roads when I am 60 years old with a Cadillac suspension has it's place :p

i thought that's all u did anyway...fireroads :thumbsup:

the 15th anniversary of my 45th birthday ain't that far away and i'm still gunna be ride'n singletrack... :lol:

Bruce, don't u know that 60 is the new 40. :ride:

• BWB63

Posted March 28, 2011 - 01:36 PM

I do not think I will be able to walk much by then :thumbsup: I'll still ride! But, if I don't have someone to pick up my bike and set me on it, I will have to ride fire roads :bonk: I had to stop racing so I can heal! I am getting surgery to fix a few things and then I will back in business. I went with a CR500R for my play bike and CR250R for the tight stuff and the XR680R for racing and the big group trail rides. I really want a TC510 or TE510! But, I just dropped an unreal amount on a few firearms this weekend so that ain't going to happen anytime soon.

• Kenzo

Posted March 28, 2011 - 05:31 PM

I do not think I will be able to walk much by then :bonk: I'll still ride! But, if I don't have someone to pick up my bike and set me on it, I will have to ride fire roads :lol: I had to stop racing so I can heal! I am getting surgery to fix a few things and then I will back in business. I went with a CR500R for my play bike and CR250R for the tight stuff and the XR680R for racing and the big group trail rides. I really want a TC510 or TE510! But, I just dropped an unreal amount on a few firearms this weekend so that ain't going to happen anytime soon.

naw...if u can't handle orange...get a Berg...at least they're made by KTM. :p

Weebles wabble but they don't fall down... :ride:

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted March 28, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Linked suspension! Not a post up your butt! :thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Linked suspension! Not a post up your butt! :ride:

just because u've got the linked figured out shudn't stop u from look'n at the PDS stuff...

...tons of knowledged base out there and can be made twice a plush for ur soon to be 50 year old arse! :p

ur start'n to sound like one of those old coots... :cheers:

"...i can remember when..." :bonk:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.