Power of R over the L

138 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted March 13, 2011 - 11:56 AM

Yes, long read and very funny. It was the end of the XR650R being the flag ship and the "L" won as the leader of the 600/650 forum. We had some good times up till this thread :thumbsup:

It was just the power of numbers... they just sold more L's, is all.

That, and you can put a bigger tire on the L.

Dave

• fredodido1

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, I thought the whitewalls and the curb feelers added a nice touch, too.

Posted Image

:bonk::thumbsup: I want to sit at the Baja Race with one of those and look at peoples faces...

whitewalls and the curb feelers and everything is there... will enlarge it print it and put it in the shop until the dream comes true...

• pwrpapa

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:48 AM

That's a hot L!
My 10.5 w/stage 1 hotcam and full fmf exhaust won't do that.
Nor would the 650R that I had and dual sported.
But the R was much faster.
Mine is closer for sure, I'll be interested to "roll on" a couple this summer. :thumbsup:

My L will do the third gear roll on wheelie..:bonk:

• FRECNDY

Posted March 18, 2011 - 10:32 PM

New to the red forum. When I want a good cup of coffee, I stay away from Starbucks and make it myself, with a press. Preferably heating the water over a fire in the desert. Guess that and being 6'4" 250 makes me an R guy.

• BWB63

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:00 AM

But, your "L's" are on steroids! :thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted March 19, 2011 - 07:09 AM

But, your "L's" are on steroids! :thumbsup:

...that probably explains it's weight gain and why it has tiny nads! :ride:

:bonk:

• MindBlower

Posted March 19, 2011 - 09:25 AM

I think "roll on wheelie" means a lot of different things to different people as far as chopping the throttle, bouncing the front end, etc.
To me a "power wheelie" means you crank on the the throttle and the front end comes up all by itself. No jerking the bars, no sitting way back and leaning back, etc
Like a 2 smoke does.
Gearing is going to be night and day between bikes.
And then there's the differences in body weight. :thumbsup:
I'm 250lbs and no bike i've ever owned has truly "power wheelied" with me on board, including my 100hp, 1,000cc twin torque monster Super Hawk.

Are there any NOT HIGHLY MODIFIED :lol: 4 strokes that will power wheelie in 2nd gear?
No way in hell any do in 3d.
Not without compressing the front susension and yanking back. :ride:
(or running a 50t+ sprocket)

• Kenzo

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:32 PM

I think "roll on wheelie" means a lot of different things to different people as far as chopping the throttle, bouncing the front end, etc.
To me a "power wheelie" means you crank on the the throttle and the front end comes up all by itself. No jerking the bars, no sitting way back and leaning back, etc
Like a 2 smoke does.
Gearing is going to be night and day between bikes.
And then there's the differences in body weight. :bonk:
I'm 250lbs and no bike i've ever owned has truly "power wheelied" with me on board, including my 100hp, 1,000cc twin torque monster Super Hawk.

Are there any NOT HIGHLY MODIFIED :p 4 strokes that will power wheelie in 2nd gear?
No way in hell any do in 3d.
Not without compressing the front susension and yanking back. :lol:
(or running a 50t+ sprocket)

with the basic mods/uncorking...

...the R, darn near every 450 class MX bike and the 450 and greater enduros will all do it in second...

...and half of them in third gear. :ride:

my 400 will do it in second gear and still push a top speed just shy of 95mph...no way in 3rd.

:thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:10 PM

...the R, darn near every 450 class MX bike and the 450 and greater enduros will all do it in second...

...and half of them in third gear. :bonk:

my 400 will do it in second gear and still push a top speed just shy of 95mph...no way in 3rd.

MX and euro enduros count as highly modified compared to XR's.

• MindBlower

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:11 PM

...and half of them in third gear. :bonk:

No, MY uncorked 650R would NOT power wheelie in 2nd gear. ANd it was FAST.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jokerflingo

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:16 PM

What gearing were you running?

• TheBigKahuna

Posted March 23, 2011 - 08:23 PM

My XRR will power up in 3rd. I've gotten the front wheel off the ground in 4th with some good body english and a pull on the bars. 2nd gear is TOO easy....just twist and hang on, it will come right up.

I still dispute the HP numbers given at the beginning of this thread. No way a stock L is only 8hp less than a stock R. Never was, never will be. Stock Ls are lucky to pull 25-28hp on a dyno.

• Kenzo

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:05 AM

MX and euro enduros count as highly modified compared to XR's.

then maybe the question shud have been, what old skool 600/650 class bike...

...but BMW and KTM both have 650ish class bikes that will do it. :thumbsup:

by throwing out most modern bikes maybe u just answered ur own question? :bonk:

if you can't get front wheel up in second, something ain't right. :lol:

:ride:

• Bucket69

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:44 AM

My R will come up with just the twist of the wrist in 2nd...probably enough that it would toss me off the back if I kept in it. And in 3rd, it will take a lot of weight off the front, not sure if it is actually off the ground, but I'm in no danger of being bucked off.

• BWB63

Posted March 24, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Yes, I do not understand someone that says a well running XR650R will not loop the bike on it's own on a true roll on, with 14/48 gearing, in second gear. If I am coming off the throttle and then back on say around fifty in third a roll on will lift the tire on most XR650R's. Mine will around 70~80 in fourth but that is a different story. :thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted March 24, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I still dispute the HP numbers given at the beginning of this thread. No way a stock L is only 8hp less than a stock R. Never was, never will be. Stock Ls are lucky to pull 25-28hp on a dyno.

naw the difference between the L and R w/ equal modifications is around ~8ish HP or so...

...BUT one must put that in perspective...ur talk'n about approching ~40ish HP(L) VS approching ~50ish HP® for both uncorked w/ basic bolt-on mods(no engine work)...

...8-10HP is ~25% more HP and that's HUGE. :bonk:

• FearTheCron

Posted March 24, 2011 - 09:50 AM

I think a power wheelie is a bad metric for how powerful a bike is given that it depends on a huge number of factors such as rider weight, weight distribution, suspension, gearing, wheel diameter, tires, altitude (a bike at sea level is going to be way more powerful than a bike at 9k ft). If you want to know for sure throw it on a dyno or use a better metric like 1/4 mile time or 0-60.

• Bucket69

Posted March 24, 2011 - 10:27 AM

I think a power wheelie is a bad metric for how powerful a bike is given that it depends on a huge number of factors such as rider weight, weight distribution, suspension, gearing, wheel diameter, tires, altitude (a bike at sea level is going to be way more powerful than a bike at 9k ft). If you want to know for sure throw it on a dyno or use a better metric like 1/4 mile time or 0-60.

You don't think the above mentioned factors come into play with 1/4 mile or 0-60 times?

• FearTheCron

Posted March 24, 2011 - 12:37 PM

You don't think the above mentioned factors come into play with 1/4 mile or 0-60 times?

I think they come into play less but I still think the dyno is really the only decent metric.

• Onederer

Posted March 24, 2011 - 01:26 PM

naw the difference between the L and R w/ equal modifications is around ~8ish HP or so...

...BUT one must put that in perspective...ur talk'n about approching ~40ish HP(L) VS approching ~50ish HP® for both uncorked w/ basic bolt-on mods(no engine work)...

...8-10HP is ~25% more HP and that's HUGE. :bonk:

Don't forget about the weight difference. Less weight for each horsepower means faster acceleration for the same power

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.