Power of R over the L

138 replies to this topic
  • DUGW

Posted June 22, 2008 - 09:39 AM

1 more for the road, get what you want when you buy. You don't have to Jones on what could have been.

• bigredmachine

Posted June 22, 2008 - 01:15 PM

It doesnt really matter what you ride just a personel preferance xl is a true duel sport.
but if you are in the wind, and not in a cage ( car ) your'e ok with me.
:thumbsup:

• LT1coupe

Posted June 22, 2008 - 01:51 PM

You guys are funny, we're all healthy enough to be riding, we're on Honda's & life is great!! They are two of the best. I'm fortunate enough to be in AZ with a plated XRR which is nearly perfect for what I do with it.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted June 23, 2008 - 04:56 AM

Yes, if you go by Honda's numbers it is only a 47 pound difference. In real life there is a lot more junk to throw away off a "L" then a "R" to bring the weight closer. Both bikes weigh more then the Honda numbers off the show room floor.

Well if we are going to talk stock bikes dry:

XR650R = 277 dry (more like 284) 44rwhp

XR650L = 324 dry (more like 232) full of fuel ready to ride 358! 32rwhp

My bike with all the extra's full of fuel on a cert scale 328 (almost five gallons of fuel) with no fuel it is about 296, was 308 at one time. Funny how you guys always shy away from horsepower.......
Maybe there is a reason the "L" guys don't need all the horsepower to compensate for......well to help get the girls at the Starbucks.

I weigh 196 right now and that is my heaviest......I usualy run at 186 with nothing. I still have a little hair and I am only in the office about two hours a day so, I can still ride a real bike:p
Still like the little roosts behind each training wheel.
Come on get back to the point.....what is the difference between the power of the "R" and the "L"???? Oh, yay that's right it doesn't matter the "L" is "L"ectric start and it's fun to have tassles on the end of the bars with the little ring ring bell.

So R guys prefer Dunkin Donuts??

• jonr3

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:24 AM

So R guys prefer Dunkin Donuts??

I guess, as evidenced by this typical R sitting in front of one...

Posted Image

:thumbsup: :p :cry:

• martinfan30

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:21 AM

:p
Nice job Jon! I like the crotch pad!

Looks like JetFuel has some worthy competition....:thumbsup:

• jonr3

Posted June 23, 2008 - 10:10 AM

:p
Nice job Jon! I like the crotch pad!

Looks like JetFuel has some worthy competition....:thumbsup:

Thanks, I thought the whitewalls and the curb feelers added a nice touch, too.

Posted Image

• jetfuel

Posted June 23, 2008 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

:p :cry: :p

:prof: Most Excellent job!!.. :thumbsup:

:worthy: :ride:

• Colemd

Posted June 23, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

That thing is sweet.:p Id ride it anyday then just dare someone to make a comment

• bigredmachine

Posted June 23, 2008 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

i want one too. I would proudly ride that, ok well not proudly, but i would sure laugh my ass off doing it.:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gassyphil

Posted June 23, 2008 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

:p :worthy: :ride: :prof:

I like the way you set it in front of starbucks!

• Rascal560

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:41 PM

I own an "L". I've stripped it down to the point where it is just like an XR600R with an electric start, and I've mounted a smaller battery in the air box so it looks like a 600R. There's basically no difference between the two anyhow.

The "L" is a good trail bike and you can hammer it pretty hard in the dirt if you have the strength to do it. Will it ever be an "R"? Not a chance. The "R" is a true off road machine and it's made to be ridden that way.

I would love to have an "R" but I live in CA and I want something that's street legal. Plus, I'm addicted to the electric start. What Honda should do is make a CRF650X....basically a CRF450X with a 650R motor...and an electric start. That would be a bike that I'd buy. :thumbsup:

• bigredmachine

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:20 PM

they should, I know I would buy it too in a minute:applause: :thumbsup: :p
But till they do, we are stuck with the two options:banghead:
Maybe honda will get a clue and bring it out for the 2010 year. (HOPEFUL)

• Rascal560

Posted June 24, 2008 - 05:18 AM

And if they do decide to make a CRF650X, they should offer a street legal option. :thumbsup:

• brad21

Posted July 26, 2008 - 07:48 PM

Can I have training wheels too?

Posted Image

• hubb255

Posted July 28, 2008 - 05:58 AM

So everyone wants the R engine in a L. What about maintenance? I think the biggest reason Honda has kept the lower performance in the L is less maintenance because of your gonna put more miles faster riding on the road.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 31, 2008 - 03:32 PM

Terrain can make the extra power moot, too. Tight northeast woods, either is going to have enough power where you'll never be using 1/2 of what the R or the L has in the power department.

Dave

Oh yeah, my R is a beast in the woods around here, I throw on a 50 tooth rear sprocket and the bike is just to much power. I can never actually hook up in the first 3 gears. The wheel just spins freely. Normally im chugging along at an idle in the woods, giving the throttle a slight crack, up to 2500 RPM's when i get a straight:banghead:

So everyone wants the R engine in a L. What about maintenance? I think the biggest reason Honda has kept the lower performance in the L is less maintenance because of your gonna put more miles faster riding on the road.

No i want the R engine in a CRF450.

I dont know about you guys but i dont do anything to my R. Oil changes every 1500-2000 miles and its still running strong at 9500 miles:thumbsup:
Actually i dont think ive checked the vales in about 9000 miles:banana:. And all of my riding is normally 3500 RPM's+ at high speeds

• Stroupdog

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:13 AM

Bump to a funny thread. :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:46 AM

Yes, long read and very funny. It was the end of the XR650R being the flag ship and the "L" won as the leader of the 600/650 forum. We had some good times up till this thread :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 13, 2011 - 10:38 AM

Theres nothing like cruising nice , waiving to the stateman as he passes you
and unleashing a third gear wheelie once hes out of sight , on the L.

:thumbsup:

That's a hot L!
My 10.5 w/stage 1 hotcam and full fmf exhaust won't do that.
Nor would the 650R that I had and dual sported.
But the R was much faster.
Mine is closer for sure, I'll be interested to "roll on" a couple this summer. :smirk:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.