2007 KTM 450 SX-F... No Kick Starter??

10 replies to this topic
  • webigon

Posted June 20, 2006 - 11:28 AM

I have heard that the new 2007 KTM 450 SX-F will be electric start only and does not come with a kick starter. I am concerned about this and if the e-start system should fail...

I have a 2006 CRF 450X and my e-start system has failed twice. First time I needed a new battery... and now it makes some weird clicking noise from under the seat when I try and start it. For my CRF450X, at least I have the kick starter now so I can get it running...

I would be stuck right now with the KTM... any thoughts?

• RCERX

Posted June 20, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Your bike is a trail bike.......the 07 450 KTM SXF is a moto bike.....closed course competition race bike.....if you wanna get a KTM to take into the wood's a ECX or XC would be where to start. :excuseme:

• webigon

Posted June 20, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Ha ha ha... :bonk: I am a desert racer and take offense to the trail riding comment :excuseme:

• 450X22

Posted June 20, 2006 - 12:37 PM

All MX 4 strokes will be electric start in the future, they figure by removing the kick starter, related gears, tighten up the cases, new light weight efficient starter motors, batteries placed low/centralize weight the difference is small, bikes jump/push start easily, interesting that a pair of small jumper cables will be in our back packs now.

• Dave Hopkins

Posted June 20, 2006 - 03:28 PM

All MX 4 strokes will be electric start in the future, they figure by removing the kick starter, related gears, tighten up the cases, new light weight efficient starter motors, batteries placed low/centralize weight the difference is small, bikes jump/push start easily, interesting that a pair of small jumper cables will be in our back packs now.

Add to that that Fuel Injection is coming, and it will require a battary so the weight gain is very nominal. Plan on having the bike on a charger when not in use, BTW I read that they will come with two batterys, a small one for warm weather and a larger one for cold weather

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCERX

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Like I said that is a trail bike "desert racer".........07 KTM 570 XC.....now that is a desert bike!!!! :excuseme:

• dunn2500

Posted June 20, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have heard that the new 2007 KTM 450 SX-F will be electric start only and does not come with a kick starter. I am concerned about this and if the e-start system should fail...

I have a 2006 CRF 450X and my e-start system has failed twice. First time I needed a new battery... and now it makes some weird clicking noise from under the seat when I try and start it. For my CRF450X, at least I have the kick starter now so I can get it running...

I would be stuck right now with the KTM... any thoughts?

all my buddys who ride dez have xc or exc why would you choose sx?

• mxnate116

Posted June 20, 2006 - 10:35 PM

you got water in the electronics and shorted them out. go get some elecronics cleaner from radio shack and clean EVERY connection there is, related to the electric start.

Im sure KTM has spent many hours testing the bikes to see how e-start would work. and from what ive seen the euros ride a hell of alot harder then most americans. only time will tell though.

• The-Vanilla-Gorilla

Posted June 20, 2006 - 11:13 PM

KTM won't mass produce Crap. The E-start may have some bugs to work out initially, but They won't put there name on it if it won't stand up.

• jamdrz

Posted June 21, 2006 - 06:00 AM

KTM won't mass produce Crap. The E-start may have some bugs to work out initially, but They won't put there name on it if it won't stand up.

I have never even used the kick start on my exc, and hopefully i never will need it. my last bike was a drz 400e with no kick start and it was never an issue, although i was a little nervous when i installed recluse. -jamie

• Orangeroost

Posted June 21, 2006 - 10:36 PM

I am concerned about this and if the e-start system should fail...

yea, me too. I'm also berry, berry worried about the same thing on my Ford F-150, sure wish I had the old hand-crank-on-the-crankshaft like the Model T to give me peace of mind... NOT.

One day we'll look back and wonder why they ever even had those silly levers on the side of the engine :excuseme:

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 250 XCF-W 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XCF-W 2015
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 250 XC-F 2014 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XC-F 2014
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 350 XC-F 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 350 XC-F 2015
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 250 XC-F 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XC-F 2015
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 350 SX-F 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 350 SX-F 2015
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Toby259
  • On Today, 10:12 AM

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.