I found a clean 2000 650R, but scared to buy?

4 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:11 AM

I have heard and read about issues in the early years, so should I not consider buying a clean 2000, or how can I be sure the bike has not had any problems associated with the early year issues? I have been told the bike is a mirror image the new 07, minus graphics, seat covers or simple cosmetics. The bike is completely stock, and looks in very good condition. How much could it be worth? Please offer advice if you can. Thanks :excuseme:

• TimBrp

Posted June 20, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Go pick the bike up and then spend a night reading this site. You'll be fine. The upgrades you need to do will cost you $25 and to uncork it properly, around $150.

Pig Pen

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Falls A Lot

Posted June 20, 2006 - 08:41 AM

I have no specific knowledge about problems with early bikes. There was an improved clutch bushing and countershaft seal released since initial production release of the 650R. But I don't think those would be reasons to shy away from a clean / unmolested bike.

I don't have any useful advice on price, but I'll keep typing. I would watch your local market and see what they are going for. Up here in Michigan, I think a lot of people buy 650R's not understanding what they are, then get tired / bored with them when they have trouble starting it. So you can find lightly used samples all day long in the $3k / 4K range. In Jan 2005 I paid $3200 for a practically new 2001, then spent close to that amount again in modifications.

• motochris

Posted June 20, 2006 - 09:19 AM

$2500-$3000 max IMO.

• MindBlower

Posted June 20, 2006 - 01:26 PM

$2500-$3000 max IMO.

agreed, I wouldn't pay more than 3k for a 2000 unless it was spotless and dual sported.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.