GYTR insert/stock exhaust question.

3 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted June 19, 2006 - 11:15 PM

Well I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the bike (04 wr450) I bought last week has the GYTR insert on it. I'm such a newbie that I thought it was the stock exhaust. My question is isw the insert basically all I can do to maximize (oxymoron) the stock exhaust or is there a way to take it a step further. I almost had bought a aftermarket pipe on ebay but was happy to realize I at least had the insert for now.

I've already done the 2 airbox , grey wire and YZ throttle stop mods and the stuff to finish out the free mods are arriving tomorrow. I just want to make sure that the previous owner didn't leave out a step when he put in the insert if there was something else such as removing a 2nd baffle or something.

• smr96

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:09 AM

The stock baffle has a hole the size of a pencil! Very quiet, but very restrictive. If it's removed the bike runs much better (especially after free mods.) but LOUD! I too have the gytr in my 04 wr450. My bike is bone stock w/ all free mods. done. Admittedly it runs best uncorked where noise isn't an issue, when it is the insert goes in. The only other option is an aftermarket "quiet" pipe, but I'm CHEAP! hence bone stock. I think GYTR makes a pipe that is supposed to be reasonably priced AND quiet. Keep an eye on your insert as mine kept vibrating the stock bolt loose and I ended up having to put a different bolt w/ a nut on it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billygoat

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:15 AM

You could change the cam timing to the YZ timing for more peak power. You lose some of the low end though.

• red7

Posted June 20, 2006 - 08:22 AM

The stock baffle has a hole the size of a pencil! Very quiet, but very restrictive. If it's removed the bike runs much better (especially after free mods.) but LOUD! I too have the gytr in my 04 wr450. My bike is bone stock w/ all free mods. done. Admittedly it runs best uncorked where noise isn't an issue, when it is the insert goes in. The only other option is an aftermarket "quiet" pipe, but I'm CHEAP! hence bone stock. I think GYTR makes a pipe that is supposed to be reasonably priced AND quiet. Keep an eye on your insert as mine kept vibrating the stock bolt loose and I ended up having to put a different bolt w/ a nut on it!

So is there just one stock baffle and it was already taken out to leave space for the insert or is there another one in there that I can take out just to try.

I'm actually not needing more power right now as I'm new and with my worn out tire I'm spinning the rear with the power I have. I'm going to order a new tire this week and that should make the biggest difference so far. I don't need to get an aftermarket now I just want to make sure there isn't something else I can do with the stock exhaust and gytr insert.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.