Countershaft Seal replacement.

9 replies to this topic
  • Esrum1

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:30 PM

What's involved in a counter shaft seal replacement? Going over the Honda Service Manual, there really is no specifics for a simple seal change - they go into way more depth than seems necessary.

Any special recommendations?

Thanks,

Joe

• Thumpmeister

Posted June 20, 2006 - 01:56 AM

If its the infamous 650R seal replacement, then theres nothing to it - I think I had it down to like 15 mins at one time...

Take the tin-type cover off, take the chain off, take the sproket off. Now is when its nice to have something you can get in behind the seal with to pop it out of there.

I made my own seal puller, kind of. I found an old beat up screw-driver, ground off the tip, and ground a small groove perpenticular to the shaft to make a small hook out of it. Worked really well, hence the fast seal change.

Its pretty straight forward - nothing too fancy.

• MikeZ

Posted June 20, 2006 - 12:48 PM

I did this deal in 15 minutes as well. My daughter was even helping.

Basically, just pull off the guard and sprocket.

I ran a sheet rock screw into the seal and gave it a yank. Out it came. Easy, Easy.

To put it back on, lube up the new seal. A 27mm socket, same size as the rear wheel, makes a perfect press.

Voila'!!!!

-Z

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 19, 2010 - 06:38 AM

I did this deal in 15 minutes as well. My daughter was even helping.

Basically, just pull off the guard and sprocket.

I ran a sheet rock screw into the seal and gave it a yank. Out it came. Easy, Easy.

To put it back on, lube up the new seal. A 27mm socket, same size as the rear wheel, makes a perfect press.

Voila'!!!!

-Z

AWESOME tip.

Thank you!

THis works great.

• motomanx

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:04 AM

I carry a small 90 degree pick in my pack to remove seals.

Just make sure you lube the new one prior to install.:banghead:

I like the screw idea.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dust_Devil

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:28 AM

I cut the finger off a nitrile glove , greased it a touch, and used it as a sleeve to slide the new seal over the splined countershaft. (kinda like using a bag to slide new fork seals onto the tube)

It really didnt look like something I could pry out without jacking up the engine case.

The screw trick worked like a friggen charm, you want to go right in the middle where it is metal, just one thread nto it is all you need, I just used a regular screwdriver as to not go too deep.

I used an all purpose (drywall) screw, one on each side so I could pull it off straight.

• ScottRNelson

Posted January 19, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the tip on seal removal. I'm not seeing any leaks in mine currently, but it's good to know that it's something quick and easy.

I remember doing something similar on the shift shaft seal of an old Kawasaki, back before I had resolved to never own another Kawasaki. I bent the end of a nail over to grab the seal with (much smaller seal) and yank it out.

For those using the sheetrock screws, did you drill a small hole first?

• Agent2

Posted January 19, 2010 - 09:06 AM

Excellent tip on the screw deal.
One thing to add to this is to actually have a spare seal. Kind of the thing you don't think about getting until you need it. Having that seal go bad on the first day of a desert trip can screw up your weekend. So next time you are at the Honda dealer, pick one or two up (and a shifter seal while you are there), throw 'em into your toolbox and backpack.

• XRToecutter

Posted January 19, 2010 - 02:31 PM

Don't forget to take the snap ring off before the seal, the first time I changed it never noticed the snap ring all caked in gunk.

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 19, 2010 - 06:42 PM

For those using the sheetrock screws, did you drill a small hole first?

Don't forget to take the snap ring off before the seal, the first time I changed it never noticed the snap ring all caked in gunk.

No, I just pressed steady and the screw self tapped.

No doubt, there IS a snap ring!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.