Overheating question

2 replies to this topic
  • richgiffen

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:33 AM

I recently purchased a 1996 600cc air cooled bike. For some reason it is overheating and Im not sure why. Ive gone end to end and cleaned and replaced the usual maintenance stuff that was ignoredf or years on this bike. But it is still overheating. Any idea??? Kinda a newbie too, so thanks!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Falls A Lot

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:27 AM

Just curious, how is one certain an air-cooled engine is overheating? What are the signs?

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 19, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I recently purchased a 1996 600cc air cooled bike. For some reason it is overheating and Im not sure why. Ive gone end to end and cleaned and replaced the usual maintenance stuff that was ignoredf or years on this bike. But it is still overheating. Any idea??? Kinda a newbie too, so thanks!!!

XR600R? Is that what you are referring to? Two things come to mind if it is.

1. Check & make sure the oil pump is working & pumping oil back up into the frame for the RFVC dry sump engine.

2. Pull the carb, check the jets & passages. Make sure nothing's clogged & it's jetted correctly for your location, i.e.; elevation & humidity. Lean running engines run hotter than those with richer settings.

Good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.