Will a DOT aproved tire last longer then the stock WR tire?

4 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I just got over 1000km on my 06Wr450 and the tire is almost worn out already, I was wondering since i have my bike dual Sported, would a DOT aproved tire last longer? Would I lose much traction off road and in the sand if i go with one?

• steve lemley

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:20 PM

My 99wr400 is plated and to me the DOT part means nothing. I run the Maxxis dessert IT's and have 1000 miles on them and still 40% tread left. These tires are very perdictible and wear like iron. Great in all terrain. After 1000 miles, there isnt one knob with a chunk out of it. They are cheap. They have the best ratings for sidewall pinches and with all these options how can you go wrong. To me there is no better tire made and Ill never run anything else. Check the threads, a lot of people agree.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:40 PM

Steve, have you used your Maxxis ITs in sand? I'm curious how they work as I'm moving to Mexico and will be doing a lot of beach riding in addition to riding on the streets.

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:15 AM

I just got over 1000km on my 06Wr450 and the tire is almost worn out already, I was wondering since i have my bike dual Sported, would a DOT aproved tire last longer? Would I lose much traction off road and in the sand if i go with one?

Try dunlop 952's both ends or Maxxis SI front / IT rear combo.
Both last as long as ever, and I can vouch for the 952's.

• steve lemley

Posted June 19, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Matty hit it on the nose, im hearing really good things about the dunlop 952's everywhere I look but I can say the maxxis works great in sand too. First ride I took on my maxxis's was in sand and WOW but you have to go with the SI in the front not the IT. Run the IT in the rear and the SI in the front is really the combo to get. It works great in literally all conditions, I ride desert, rock, sand, mountain dirt and track and these things rock... That dunlop though.......... A lot of people giving it good reviews. Either way both combos will work good. The only bad thing I have heard is that the dunlop isnt the best in rocky conditions, seems to float and spin a lot???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.