another freshman question

5 replies to this topic
  • kc55555

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:56 PM

I just checked the valves on y 06 450 with 5 miles on it, I am nervous so I need some advice. The two exhaust were at .20 mm. two intakes were at .12 mm and one at .10 mm. Should I worry or just ride? Sorry I am a baby!

• clark4131

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:14 PM

Ride it. You're still in the break-in phase and within operating tolerances so don't freak. Change the oil, ride, change the oil again, ride, then recheck the clearances around 200 miles and shim if necessary. After that, do it once a year...SC

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:16 AM

Ride it. You're still in the break-in phase and within operating tolerances so don't freak. Change the oil, ride, change the oil again, ride, then recheck the clearances around 200 miles and shim if necessary. After that, do it once a year...SC

:excuseme: :bonk: :busted: :bonk: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaster

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:14 PM

I have over 1000 miles on my odometer and still dont need a valve adjustment. Although a few hundred of them is from sand riding (and that isnt very acurate, I dont go 50 miles in 30 minutes). It still fires up easily, so I'm not worried. Just gotta keep fresh oil in it.

• Numskull

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Why are you checking your valves after riding around the block?? You will probally never have to adjust them.

Mess with your suspension settings and tire pressure for awhile :excuseme:

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:20 PM

Why are you checking your valves after riding around the block?? You will probally never have to adjust them.

Mess with your suspension settings and tire pressure for awhile :bonk:

:busted: Too true! :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.