New Bike...any ideas on what armor I should add?

8 replies to this topic
  • mtscott

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I am looking to get something to protect the case and water pump from damage. Any ideas on what I should purchase?

Also, are there any other cool after marker parts that are kick ass? I have been out of the sport for about 10 years so I am behind a bit! :excuseme:

• Swanny40

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Skidplate, Radiator Gaurds, and Bark Busters if you are trial riding. That is what I have added to my bike so far.

Swanny

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:33 PM

You can get a carbon fiber skid plat that raps around you frame and water pump and all the good junk......then you are going to want radiator guards spend $60 in stead of spending $300 on a new radiator.....don't get bark busters had a friend crash and got his wrist caught in the bark buster and broke his wrist. What kinda bike is it?????

• cowboyona426

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Scott- my suggestions at a mininum are: WC skid plate and WC radiator cages and front tire (assuming you bought an 06 YZ 450F). If you're tall, get taller bars and/or bar risers. If you ride trails, aluminum handguards and a spark arrestor are a must. You'll want to get a decent chain soon (the stock one is junk) and pull the bike down for grease first chance you get. Also, do a search on the forums for "chain slider" and consider your options there. Some other good ideas are: easy adjust fuel screw, stainless oil filter, hour meter, extra air filters, I could go on and on...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WFOracer

Posted June 19, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Exactly as cowbay said....

I bought the Devol skid plate and radiator guards, and they work great.

• Ranger18

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:12 AM

I also got the Devol skid plate, it fits and looks great. I put a front disc guard on also. Silicone down the chain slider and buy a new chain. I don't have them yet on my new bike, but get the Devol rad guards. I like them better than the Works Connection. I had both for my crf, and the Devol were 100% better than the WC. ONe last thing, if you ride on trails, get a spark arrestor, I went with the pro moto billet endcap. It is a real nice piece, and is a lot cheaper than buying a whole exhaust.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:19 PM

I am looking to get something to protect the case and water pump from damage. Any ideas on what I should purchase?

Also, are there any other cool after marker parts that are kick ass? I have been out of the sport for about 10 years so I am behind a bit! :excuseme:

I assume a new bike being a 06? This is what I would start with for MX -
Wyndham bend Renthal Twinwall or Protaper bars
WC or GYTR Skidplate
GYTR waterpump guard
ZipTy Fuelscrew
new chain
new tires - Michelin Starcross MS3

I like the GYTR frontbrake bracket and axelblocks for bling
Radiator guards are good too - WC or GYTR- if you are lucky to have connection in Europe

here is a link:
http://www.yamaha-mo...5376/all/1.aspx

• jamiehughes

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:51 PM

i just bought the yamaha GYTR skid plate for my 06 450 and it looks and works trick. i really like the fact that it just bolted up with the stock bolts. no stupid little bars and brackets to take off everytime you want to pull the plate off. was about $60. they also make one that goes arount the water pump and case on other side i thing it was about $100. just get the part # off of the yamaha web site and call your dealer with it. mine had the skid plate in stock, had it bought and on the same day.. here is the web site address. http://www.yamaha-mo...376/2006/1.aspx

• David37

Posted June 20, 2006 - 09:13 PM

I would go with Cycra Pro Bend handguards to protect your hands. I like the Works Connection glide or skid plates and their radiator braces. IMO these would be a good first investment.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.