installing new fork seals

13 replies to this topic
  • specialk6r

Posted June 18, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I'm replacing my fork's oil-seals and oil and am wondering if I really need the Yamaha tool to install the seals. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Also, is 5w fork oil acceptable for fast trails where I only occasionally find myself over 6 feet in the air (w/ stock springs)? Thanks

• Frank_z28

Posted June 18, 2006 - 02:59 PM

you can make a homemade tool with a 2 inch pvc pipe. work well and inexpensive

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:25 PM

The steel fork seal drivers available from Tusk and others works very well and is priced at $50. It is easier to drive the seal in with the extra weight of a steel driver. :excuseme:

• 642MX

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:35 PM

I agree with Indy. Get a real fork seal driver. The PVC pipe is way over-rated. :excuseme:

• AUS_WR450

Posted June 18, 2006 - 11:43 PM

This link may be of some assistance to you.

installing wr450 fork seals

• pkcof

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:48 AM

use Motul 5wt oil and you'll notice the difference over the stock 'muck' straight away !!!

• Frank_z28

Posted June 19, 2006 - 07:50 AM

the real seal diver probably work better than a PVC pipe but i use pipe because it cost me 0.05$ :excuseme: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I agree with Indy. Get a real fork seal driver. The PVC pipe is way over-rated. :busted:

3 WR's in 7 years, still using the same $.50 PVC seal driver...... I'd say it's grossly under-rated :bonk: I'll take my remaining $49.50 and buy beer :excuseme:

• 642MX

Posted June 19, 2006 - 09:38 AM

3 WR's in 7 years, still using the same $.50 PVC seal driver...... I'd say it's grossly under-rated :busted: I'll take my remaining $49.50 and buy beer :excuseme:

Cool. Buy you some beer. I'll be in my garage using the right tool for the right job. :bonk:

• Yama4Stroker

Posted June 19, 2006 - 10:14 AM

After I dis-assemble my forks, slip on the new dust seal, then the old oil seal then the new oil seal. Then when you re-assemble the fork, use the old oil seal and pvc to drive the new one in then cut the old one off, put your sanp ring on, and slide your dust seal down (or up which ever way your working on it). Works very well.

• Looks450

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:16 PM

YAMA4STROKER said the way i do it.

I am interested in the 2" pvc pipe method. I take it that you cut it like one of the steel ones you would by? does it have to sit in any particular part of the seal so as not to damage it?

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:19 PM

YAMA4STROKER said the way i do it.

I am interested in the 2" pvc pipe method. I take it that you cut it like one of the steel ones you would by? does it have to sit in any particular part of the seal so as not to damage it?

It doesn't really matter if you take it easy. lube them up a bit first with some oil.
They go straight in!

PVC pipe is great, just cut it in half like those steel ones.

• Looks450

Posted June 19, 2006 - 11:17 PM

I may just give that a go tonight. i blew a fork seal today, lost 50% of front brake power, made for an interesting ride. Just take it easy you reckon. I';; give that a go cheers

• mxchamps

Posted June 30, 2006 - 07:50 AM

I've done the PVC thing for years and got sick of half-assing it. I finally broke down and bought a Tusk driver from Rocky Mountain. Wow! worth it's weight in gold. If you are retired and have lots of time to waiste on PVC pipe go for it. It will work OK.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.