New helmet - too small?

12 replies to this topic
  • Renas

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for the tips how to solve the problem with a bit too tight helmet. I've bought it some time ago and it felt very comfortable at the store (wearing 15 min. or so). But after an hour of wearing it when riding I start to feel very uncomfortable and annoying pressure 3-4 cm. above eyebrows.

My question is, is it normal that helmet has to break in and I need to wear it more (I have done around 200 km so far) and it will feel better after some time, or I'll have to buy a new one as I'm not able to return it to the shop... :excuseme:

BTW the size is XL and XXL felt too loose in the shop, so I decided to go for XL... bad decision?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

• funch1224

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:15 PM

it should break in and shape to your head, but the foam will only shape so much. different helmet companies have differently shaped helmets, as not everyone's head is the same shape, i have a more narrow face and head, and moose helmets work well for me. there was another thread about this not too long ago, try searching for it, good luck and hopefully it will just break in.

• Swind

Posted June 18, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Get a hair cut.

Sounds stupid, but everytime I get a hair cut my helmet loosens up a bit.

• gettr

Posted June 18, 2006 - 02:14 PM

Try taking a spoon and pushing hard in the pressure areas. Don't overdue it.... press it in a bit, then try the helmet on, repeat if needed. An Arai dealer taught me that trick for my street full face helmets.

Good luck.

• boomman

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Try taking a spoon and pushing hard in the pressure areas. Don't overdue it.... press it in a bit, then try the helmet on, repeat if needed. An Arai dealer taught me that trick for my street full face helmets.

Good luck.

Do you push on the helmet or your head?
Does using a spoon on your head keep the swelling down?
Can I use a ladle or perhaps a spork in an emergency?

• gettr

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:39 PM

What a totally useless post above.... At least I'm trying to help the guy. Not post pad or pick apart other's posts.

• Renas

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:03 PM

What a totally useless post above.... At least I'm trying to help the guy. Not post pad or pick apart other's posts.

Thanks, I'll try the trick! Bad thing is that uncomfortable feeling comes after some time of riding... I'll try, thanks!

• donutman126

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Put a soccer ball in your helmet, pump it up and leave it overnight. It worked on my helmet almost to good so go a little at a time.

• meatbomb

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by gettr

Lighten up... the guy was injecting a bit of humour into the place. Nice to see. Ohmygosh you didn't try fixing your head with the spoon by anychance... that would explain a lot :-)

• boomman

Posted June 18, 2006 - 10:46 PM

Just a little joke, didn't mean to offend.

• gettr

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Oh... sorry... didn't read it that way. Damn internet is hard to see the tongue in cheek. Maybe it is was too many sporks on the noggin...lol.

• kompressor

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I had almost the same exact problem. The highest point of my forehead would start to ache after about half an hour in the helmet. I'm sure the manafacturer would never recommend this, but I had to actually carve away about a 1/8 inch of foam from the inside of the helmet. It fits like a beanie now and I wish I had done it sooner. I know this adversely affects the safety performance of the helmet, but if the damn thing's not comfortable, it's no good to me anyways.

• DRZ400Squid

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I had to actually carve away about a 1/8 inch of foam from the inside of the helmet. I know this adversely affects the safety performance of the helmet, but if the damn thing's not comfortable, it's no good to me anyways.

For sure... The pressure points on your forhead are from the styrofoam inner shell, not from the thin padding there, and even in the cheapest helmets this isn't likely to "break in" any, unless you smack your head on the ground a lot :excuseme:

I would suggest sanding away material over denting it in as this crushing of the styrofoam is more likely to comprimise the safety of the helmet than just taking a little out would be.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.