Header fell off??

13 replies to this topic
  • koondawg

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Okay, I was riding the other day and my header fell off. It broke clean off where it goes into the engine. I can put it back on, but it just wiggles out after a while.
I have a 03 wr450. It is an alumimum White Brothers.
I just looked and new they are 250 bones.
Any one seen this, know of a fix? I cant afford a 250 dollar replacement.

• dogbone

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Is the mounting flange broken?

• koondawg

Posted June 18, 2006 - 10:58 AM

The flange itself is not broken, but that is where it broke. Right where it is welded to the flange.

• tshe1

Posted June 18, 2006 - 11:57 AM

The flange itself is not broken, but that is where it broke. Right where it is welded to the flange.

if it is aluminum made, aluminum welding is not big deal...

• ARin

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:01 PM

if it is a white brothers head pipe, then contact them about a replacement.

that shouldnt happen, unless the pipe was really abused.

• koondawg

Posted June 18, 2006 - 02:45 PM

I already sent an emil to WB. It is dented from falling on it.... abused.. maybe. I like to ride as hard as I can. After looking at it I would say it is the weld that made it break. I can weld. But not aluminum so I am thinking worse come to worse take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it back on???

• ARin

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:22 AM

i know of NO company that makes an ALUMINUM head pipe. TOO SOFT under high temps.
Ti and stainless are the normal materials used for headpipes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • koondawg

Posted June 19, 2006 - 07:13 AM

I think your right. not aluminum. looks like stainless.
I have a call into them. waiting a call back........ :excuseme:

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 19, 2006 - 08:16 AM

I did'nt think headers were fixed to the collar or flange, are'nt they flanged so that you can attach them loosely to the engine and still rotate them until you have everything positioned correctly before tightening it down? Thats the way my stocker and FMF are :excuseme:

Curious to find out how this turns out......

• ARin

Posted June 19, 2006 - 10:08 AM

I did'nt think headers were fixed to the collar or flange, are'nt they flanged so that you can attach them loosely to the engine and still rotate them until you have everything positioned correctly before tightening it down? Thats the way my stocker and FMF are :excuseme:

Curious to find out how this turns out......

yep, thats how they are...i assume the the flange and collar are still bolted to the bike. but in all seriousness...that weld should NOT fail.

i think it needs to be handled by WB. would be best to take it all off the bike, take a digital picture of it, and email it to WB

• koondawg

Posted June 20, 2006 - 06:47 AM

not sure wich is wich, but the collar is(was) welded to the pipe. the Flange is not and thats what bolts on(I tightened to specs). I took it all off. You can see the weld and how it broke right around the edge of the weld. WB asked for pics but I dont have a digi right now. ........ More updates soon... :excuseme:

• Solo

Posted June 20, 2006 - 10:01 AM

Go buy one of those cheap toss away cameras. Take a bunch of photos (including some of your lady modeling the busted parts) and get them developed at the local drug store. Most will be able to put them on CD for you.

• koondawg

Posted June 20, 2006 - 04:20 PM

sent them pictures. Said they would send out a new one tomorrow!
That means I can ride again!! :excuseme:

• Matty05

Posted June 20, 2006 - 04:43 PM

sent them pictures. Said they would send out a new one tomorrow!
That means I can ride again!! :excuseme:

Thats good news man! Good to have a win! :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.