YZ450F Valve clearence and adjustments after breakin?

7 replies to this topic
  • mtscott

Posted June 17, 2006 - 05:58 PM

I have owned my bike for about three months and was wondering if it was nessacary to check the valve clearences and timming like the service guide suggest.

This would be something I would have to take to the shop to have completed.

Thanks,
Mike

• bumblebee

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:09 PM

you should check your clearances but more than likely they arent out at all. I have had my bike since december and ride the crap out of it and i just barely adjusted my exhaust valve and it was still within range(barely) I would suggest finding someone that can show you how to do it and buying a valve shim kit. I thought it would be hard but with only the tools to get everything apart, a set of feeler gages, and some shims its easy to do yourself.

• barch88

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I always wanted to take my bike to the shop, even for jetting it, then I just read online, ask questions, and go for it. Why have a shop charge you $60 bucks a hour labor + parts for it when you can do it yourself for free.

I broke in my 06, I did not check valve yet. Im going to wait until 20 hours on the bike. I have about 4-5.

• bumblebee

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:53 PM

i did mine at almost 200 hrs no lie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted June 18, 2006 - 03:32 PM

i did mine at almost 200 hrs no lie

That's nothing. Last year we cracked open my brother's bike and he rides that thing harder than you can imagine. It had at least 300-400 hrs on it and REALLY hard hours at that and they were exactly in the middle of the clearance range. And we could tell by the bolts that it had never been opened or adjusted. Yamahas are amazing.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:44 AM

I have owned my bike for about three months and was wondering if it was nessacary to check the valve clearences and timming like the service guide suggest.

This would be something I would have to take to the shop to have completed.

Thanks,
Mike

yes if you want to feel safe and it is good practice for when you will want to adjust them.........otherwise wait until it becomes difficult to start.....
I have had several 400/426 and 450 Yami's they all have stayed in check, with one that the exhaust valve was a little tight after 50+ hrs - on the 400.

these ain't like hondas, Suzuks or Kawi's in the valve dept..... :excuseme:

• rucka356

Posted June 19, 2006 - 11:09 AM

I'm just now getting the valves adjusted on my 04. One of the intake valves tightened up just a hair. Pretty good for 2 years! AND THIS IS WHY I WILL ALWAYS RIDE A YAMAHA. Can't wait to get an 07 though!

• eazrider

Posted June 19, 2006 - 11:19 AM

I have an '04 that I bought in October of '03...runs like a raped ape, still has not had the valves adjusted, starts 3rd kick everytime. (unless it has been upside down...!) Love that tuning fork....!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.