Axle Holder (Bolts Sheered off)

6 replies to this topic
  • gsequel1

Posted June 17, 2006 - 03:41 PM

On my 650l the four bolts that hold the front axle in place are sheered off. 2 are there and 2 are gone. from the looks of it can I replace the screws sticking out or the whole fork?

thanks,

j-

• burly

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:48 PM

The threads in the fork tube can be saved if go about it the right way.
if you have enough of the stud sticking out to grab onto with visegrips,
soak the fork tube in oil for awhile or keep spraying the studs with penetrating oil to see if they loosen up.

Your second option is to use left handed drill bits.
You need to hit the stud as "dead center as posible to avoid taking out the thread.I think those are M6 studs so a 3/16" L/H bit will work.

The third option (and most expensive) is a machine shop.
If you can find one with a tap/bolt disentigrater in your area thats the best bet. They can either burn them out, or clamp the tube in a mill and drill them out.

What ever you do, don't beat the heck out of the studs with a hammer, center punch, or easy out.
That almost ruins any chance that the machine shop will be able to save the threads.

The fourth option is a helicoil or keesert (fon carrlane mfg,).

When you get the old stud out, don't forget to put atiseize or thred lock on them.
Steel and aluminum have some sort of chemical reaction that goes on and if you don't use antiseize or a thread locking compound, its only a matter of time before the bolts just lock up and you have very little chance of getting them out.
I am a supervisor at a machine shop here in central cal that has the only tap disentigrater within about a 100 mile radius so I have seen quite bit of this with bikes. most of the time it's the cr style rear axle adjusters, but we have done a few fork tubes as well.

Hope this helps

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 17, 2006 - 08:16 PM

I heated em up with a propane torch and they came right out. I had enough to grab with the vise grips, the kid I fixed em for had issues with a torque wrench.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • burly

Posted June 17, 2006 - 10:48 PM

Good idea dude.
A propane bottle is a hellofalot cheaper that a machine shop any day of the week!
don't forget the atisieze on the new studs though.
Rock on!

• gsequel1

Posted June 17, 2006 - 11:11 PM

you doods are the shit. I will check it out.

thanks,

j-

• 4whlfun

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Burly what is a tap/bolt disentigrater. I have been a machinist for 26 years and I have never heard of this machine. What is the process it does. I know in the last 10 years the technology in machining is rapidly improving. I am currently running a Fanuc Robodrill Mill.

• burly

Posted June 18, 2006 - 11:14 AM

The machine is basically a hot welder that uses a hollow electrode with
coolant flowing through the center hole.
You use different electrode sizes and heat setting depending on the size of the tap/bolt you are trying to remove.
It blows a hole through the center of the tap/bolt allowing you to remove it.
It works really well on taps and drills because of the harness of the material, they basically just fall out.
bolts are kinda a pain because they are soft, so you gotta pick the broken
bolt out after you burn out the center.
I think the manufacturer of the machine is electro arc.
It's main purpose really is for taps or drills, really anything made from tool steel or harder.
It sure has saved my bacon quite a few times.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.