t.p.s. on the carb. ??

9 replies to this topic
  • buffaman

Posted November 05, 2001 - 03:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone knew exactly what the tps does and if disconnected what might happen. I'm thinking of putting a Edelbrock/Quiksilver carb on my WR-01-426. They do not use a tps..What kind of chances am i taking, or what to look out for ??

• tbronco

Posted November 05, 2001 - 04:27 PM

The TPS is used by the ignition to map spark advance.

Any particular reason you want to get rid of the Keihin? It is an excellent carb.

• buffaman

Posted November 05, 2001 - 05:45 PM

they are supposed to be alot better carb. cold start, hot start, when you fall they don't flood out, no choke, no hot start buton, easy to adjust for all alitudes...any coments ??

• Taffy

Posted November 05, 2001 - 11:24 PM

one comment you'll never get around.

the FCR's don't come perfect but they can be. there's a lot of help here.

who the hell are quick slipper and how do you know it's going to come as jetting perfection?

my bikes just about perfect, all the faults you describe don't apply to me or many others. what ever happens, unless you're dead jammy, you will have to set it up.

wrong move.

• Ynahg

Posted November 06, 2001 - 05:27 AM

Try to disconnect your TPS on the FCR, you will feel the difference...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x400racer

Posted November 07, 2001 - 03:42 PM

I figured you got the idea from your XR that those carbs dont work.I guess you need to wear out the bolts on your WR also. Use your time for working off that arm/hand pump.

• catchdirt

Posted November 07, 2001 - 06:22 PM

I agree you should try to dis connect the tps ,ive done it on three different yz and wr400 and 426 and there was not on differance, as far as the edelbrock carb ,you should go to the source they know more than those who have never tried them like the x400racer ha ha

• x400racer

Posted November 07, 2001 - 06:43 PM

,you should go to the source they know more than those who have never tried them like the x400racer ha ha

I know enough that the stock carb works great.Unlike the SOURSE that supplied the carb for the XR --HA HA-- When are you going to step up to real bike and not that XR that got you ran over by a KX.

• catchdirt

Posted November 07, 2001 - 06:55 PM

• ExAwKilla

Posted November 07, 2001 - 07:42 PM

Hey tps question dude. Have you tried to disconnect your tps? I'd put money on it that you can't tell the difference. Mine got ripped off the carb in a freak crash and she still runs great.
And about the Edelbrock....I checked on a new FCR since I can't reconnect the $104 tps unit i bought to replace the trashed one. There is a small piece of plastic that is gone and you have to buy the whole fcr to get it. I ain't payin $900 bucks for another fcr so I called Edelbrock and bugged them for months about a fresh carb. They kept tellin me two months for about a year. Well I finally got one for my 400, and I can tell you it was money well spent! As for the XR girls talkin trash, don't listen to 'em.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.